Sunday, October 15, 2006

Kurbis Festival

On Saturday we had one of our best outings in Germany yet(at least in my opinion). A lady from the Branch told me about a Kurbis(pumpkin)festival that was about an hour and a half away from us. It sounded wonderful so we headed out on Saturday to find it. Some friends of ours from the Branch came with us. It was at a palace which you don't come across as often as you do castles here in German. The palace was beautiful, and in Sept. and Oct. they decorate the gardens in the back with pumpkins. We went a little camera crazy, so I hope you don't get bored.

There were all these displays of figures made out of pumpkins and different squash. It looked sooo cool.


They also had a place where they displayed the results of a biggest pumpkin contest. Here are some of them. They are around 600 pounds. The pumpkin that won the contest came from Sweden and was over 1000 pounds.

The Hughes and McNalley kids in front of a pumpkin totem.

For lunch, Steve and I went to this little makeshift restaurant they had, while Julie hung out with the kids at the playground. They were only like 50ft apart, the restaurant and the playground, so we didn't abdandon her too bad. They were selling all sorts of cool pumpkin dishes. We ended up with some ravioli stuff in pumpkin soup, and a bowl of pumpkin soup, and pumpkin quiche. It was interesting tasting. We liked the soup and the ravioli but wouldn't crave any of it.


There was also a fairy tale park that is attached to the gardens, where there are little displays of fairy tales, with figures in them that talk. They had this cool chair where the kids sit on it, and it starts rising up a little bit, and the water around it starts to rise as well. Kind of like you are in the middle of a water fountain. It was pretty neat looking.


A picture of Jacob and I.


And that was our fantastic Saturday. I really enjoyed it and will take any of you there with me next year if you are here for Halloween. :)

5 comments:

laura said...

With each blog you post, you manage to fuel my desire to travel. Pumpkin season is my VERY favorite- the changing colors, the cooler temps, baking pumpkin muffins, etc. I look forward to going to the pumpkin patch on Taft Highway each year- I can't imagine going to a castle!! How amazing. I'm so glad you are taking advantage of all these things. Hopefully we will join you for some outtings someday.
PS. How many of those headphones do you want- I have 3.

Sue said...

What a great place to visit. I would love to see that palace, can you go in? The squash displays look fun. The boys look like they are growing.

Hardy Family said...

Looks like you guys had a great time! Wish there were things like that over where we live. There probably are, I just don't know about them. I love fall - it's my favorite! The pumpkin dishes look especially interesting - from your description, it sounds like they looked better than they tasted:)

Alicia said...

I've said it once and I'll say it again . . . I love a festival. I especially love a pumpkin festival. We used to do one every year in Boston and tried to carry on the tradition in Utah until we made Sarah (newly pregnant) and Evan (wimpy) sick with pumpkin soup. I would have loved to go there with you guys. It looks like you had a great time. The food looks really interesting.

Roeckers said...

You make me miss all the travel and fun.