Sunday, October 01, 2006

Expanding Minds

This is exciting news to me, so I hope you all get excited. :) Yesterday (Saturday) we went to the church for a "potato bar" branch activity and immediately following we watched the Saturday morning session of Conference which comes on at 6pm our time. Well, I was a little worried, because I didn't know how the kids were going to act for 2 hours with all of us sitting quietly in the RS room. So I brought crayons and new coloring books that I just bought for them and hoped for the best. Steven did very well, but he usually does. But Nathan......I couldn't believe it! He was so good! I guess he decided that he was going to learn to color in the lines on his pictures during Conference. So, he grabbed a green crayon and colored page after page of pictures all green, doing his best to stay in the lines. He was quiet, and happy, and improving his coloring skill all at the same time. I was thrilled! He did such a great job.


Steven's picture


2 of Nathan's GREEN pictures

Then today(Sunday) I was coloring at the table with Steven, and decided to ask him if he had 2 crayons and I gave him 2 more how many would he have. Well, he answered correctly of course, and it got us in to this whole conversation on math. I got out a dry erase board that I bought for him last week to practice his letters on, and we just had a simple little math (adding and subtracting) lesson which he was loving. He kept asking me "can we do more." It also gave him some practice writing his numbers. It made me feel so good to be teaching him the basics of such valuable knowledge, and for him to enjoy it at the same time.



Oh what a joy to watch your children learn and grow!

2 comments:

Sue said...

Great activities!!! The fest looks fun, I can't believe the sweet shop! And I love the pictures. Both boys did excellent jobs!

Olson Clan said...

Now you knew I would say this, Have you considered homeschooling the boys long term? You already do and you are great! Sure do miss you all. Give the boys a hug for us.