Tuesday, August 22, 2006

He learned to RIDE!

Well, I have a ton of pictures to put up, but I haven't really felt like blogging lately. I am enjoying doing my cross stitch right now, so I watch TV and do that instead of being on the computer. I do want to put up the big news at our house this week though.


OK, so I was ready to teach Steven to ride his bike, and he has been ready since he turned 5 and I told him that it is a 5 year old thing to do. So I finally took him out the beginning of last week, and was practicing with him in the street in front of our house. He did a great job right from the start. We just went up and down the street a couple of times with me while holding onto his seat. We were just about to come inside, and I was teaching him how to stop the bike. Well...I let go too early and he fell over and the handle bar hurt his stomach.

So after that incident, he was mad and had gotten hurt so he said he wasn't going to ride his bike anymore. I waited a couple of days, and then told him he needs more hobbies than just X-Box so he isn't going to play X-Box until he practices on his bike with me for 10 minutes every day. After that threat we were out everyday. It took maybe 3 days of 10 minutes, and then he was off on his own.



And of course after a couple of minutes of practicing on his own, he was back to his favorite spot on the couch.

I am proud of him though, and it was quite exciting to see him taking off on his own. I will keep making him practice everyday until it gets cold so he can get better. He is getting so big!

5 comments:

laura said...

Oh my word. He looks so old on that thing. Don't tell Davin- but he's getting a b-i-k-e for Christmas. I am currently looking at garage sales for one for Steven so they can cruise around when he gets here. Can't wait.

Roger said...

We have small two bikes in the garage. What size are his tires so I can determine if I need to get them repaired.
Give him a big hug and kiss from me.

Jessica said...

Is Steven wearing his "girl shoes" as he is riding his bike? I am thrilled that he learned to ride. I guess nobody can be surprised that the kid is an X-box fanatic with The King and Queen of Tetris as parents.

Teresa said...

Jess-
I love that you commented on the shoes. Yes, actually those are the girl shoes, and I was wondering if anyone would notice. The day after I bought them, Steve had the boys helping him clean the backyard. I told Steven just to wear the shoes in the backyard, becaues nobody would see him. Well, for some reaon as soon as the shoes had some dirt on them, Steven was OK with them and even asked to wear them even though I bought him perfectly good boy shoes the next day!!!

Alicia said...

Wow. Steven looks so old in that close up of his face and out riding on his bike. How fun for him. And how fun for you to get to run along side him and teach him.