Friday, November 02, 2007

Happy Harry Potter Halloween

Halloween here was fabulous. The past three years we have gone on the American Base with our friends and trick-or-treated. With the base closing and us changing to the Frankfurt ward, we don't have all the trick-or-treating friends we used to have. So, we decided to see what the Germans do. I guess every year trick-or-treating has become more popular here. So, the older 3 and Steve headed out to get some candy, and Brandon and I were the passer-outers. Steve said there were lots of kids outside. And our neighbor made this AWESOME haunted house at his house. Some people also got out some fireworks left over from New Years. I guess it just feels like what you should be doing when the whole town is outside after dark. :-)

The Harry Potter costumes worked out great. The boys were very happy, the looked cute, and I put little to no effort in to getting them ready. Steve did the scar. Not that I don't like to dress kids up for Halloween, but really I don't. I never did much for my costumes either. I do love the holiday though, and am glad the kids got to have a good time. I was telling my friend, even though they got a good amount of candy, they really don't know what they are missing. Steven was 2 1/2 our last Halloween in the states. So, they aren't missing the 300+ pieces of candy that were all the yummy stuff like reeses and tootsie rolls. They don't know any different.

{Brandon on Halloween. Doesn't he look good in blue.}

On another subject...Steve went to a wedding earlier this month and they made some butternut squash soup. He loved it, so of course he came home and tried making some and it is dang good. Especially with a fresh brotchen (roll). So last night (Nov. 1) we had a friend of his from work and his wife over to taste Steve's soup. They are having their first baby in May. It tasted wonderful like always and it was nice to have people over. The Hancocks are probably going to come tonight for Settlers. Good times!

{This picture if for Alicia to see how big the knife is. It really makes cutting the squash much easier.}
I did mean to post the recipe for the soup. :-) Thanks Sarah

INGREDIENTS

  • 6 tablespoons chopped onion
  • 4 tablespoons margarine
  • 6 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
  • 3 cups water
  • 4 cubes chicken bouillon
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
  • 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese

DIRECTIONS

  1. In a large saucepan, saute onions in margarine until tender. Add squash, water, bouillon, marjoram, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Bring to boil; cook 20 minutes, or until squash is tender.
  2. Puree squash and cream cheese in a blender or food processor in batches until smooth. Return to saucepan, and heat through. Do not allow to boil.
This came from www.allrecipes.com of course. I think Steve added more water than called for until it was the right thickness.

5 comments:

Sarah A said...

mmmmmm... post the recipe for that soup. It looks delicious. Your boys, as always, are darling. I love that they all dressed up as the same thing. And Brandon looks so handsome in his picture. Good work!

Alicia said...

Thanks for the soup info. I made mine on Halloween night but it is Curried Butternut Apple soup. It has curry powder, onions, celery, apples, butternut squash and cider. I should try yours too.

Your Halloween looks great.

laura said...

You are like the 5th person to mention how delicious butternut squash soup is. I guess I should try it. The boys look adorable. And I really like Steve's haircut. Sounds like a great Halloween. Oh, and as much as I love Halloween, I HATE all the candy. All of our candy is getting thrown away on SUnday. How's that for a mean mom.

Sarah A said...

I'm so glad you posted this recipe. We will definitely make it this week. I love soups this time of year and I'm always looking for new ones.

Roger said...

I HATE Halloween.
I LOVE candy.
Laura is mean because she threw away the candy rather than give it to me.