Monday, October 29, 2007

FHE Obedience

Last Thursday, Steve and I got a babysitter, and as we were leaving I told Jacob he needed to obey her. I then decided to ask him what it means to obey, and he said, "to be nice to her." WRONG, so Jacob got the family home evening lesson for this week on Obedience. Besides that, he has not been quite up to par with his ability to obey, so this was a good lesson for him.

First he asked everyone what it meant to obey. Steven said it means to listen when someone tells you something. Not quite, that is just listening. Steve helped him out by adding that when you are told to do something, you DO IT! Oh what a valuable lesson for all of us.

So, after we had figured out the definition, Jacob lead the boys in a game of Simon Says. Steven did pretty good, but Nathan still did the action whether Simon said it or not.


{Simon says JUMP}{Simon says Shake your head back and forth}

Then Jacob helped tell this flannel board story of Jonah and the Whale. A wonderful lesson on obedience, and how bad things can get if you choose not to obey. I love these pictures that you can find in the Friend for different stories, but it bugs me that they are so small.

Then each person had a chance to tell us who is someone we should obey, and what they have asked us to do.

Jacob said Heavenly Father who asks us to pray
Steven said Mom who asks us to clear the table.
Nathan said Jesus who asks us to be reverent.
Steve said the Prophet who asks us to do FHE.
Jacob said his Nursery leader who asks him to clean up the toys.
Steven said Dad who asks us to clean the family room.
Nathan said school teachers who ask us to clean up.
Dad said the Bishop who asks us to come to church.

I added that there are laws of the land we must obey too, like not stealing, and stopping on a red light. (Red light, Green light would be a great game to play also)

So, hopefully we will now have very obedient children who do what they are asked when they are asked. :-) Right?? Isn't that what Family Home Evening is all about. HaHa

{Just for fun, here is one of Steve's latest backyard finds. Don't ask me why he always picks this stuff up!}

5 comments:

Jessica said...

um I have read this like six times and I love the FHEs I can't wait to spend Christmas Eve FHE with you all. Who is teaching? My roommate would like to request that I be taught how to be quiet during boring sacrament meeting talks.

Melissa said...

That sounds like a really great FHE, and that is one freaky spider. Is it a spider? How nice of him to bring it into the house to show you.

laura said...

Love the lesson. Keep this up- it makes monday nights really easy for me.
Oh, and I don't think running a red light means you are disobedient. It just means you were in a hurry.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to getting more information about this topic, don't worry about negative opinions.