Sunday, November 11, 2007

Birthday Weekend

I had a Wonderful Birthday Weekend! and am happy to be 31. :-) Steve decided we should go on an overnighter for my birthday, after I told him that what I wanted was for him to do something romantic. So he got us a hotel up in the Black Forest right next to this beautiful lake. He looked at the weather, and it was calling for 2 inches of snow. We got all excited that we were going to be cuddling up in a hotel room by ourselves (with Brandon) in the snow. So we asked our wonderful friends the Hancocks to babysit for us for the night, and we took off. The drive was wonderful. It was about 3 hours with Brandon sleeping and Steve and I listening to Harry Potter. I am still on book 4, and enjoying it.

When we were about 30 minutes from the hotel we were high enough up that it started snowing, and was dark by this time. So, we were going very slowly up this canyon road while the snow was coming down pretty heavy. We were doing fine, until we had to get off on our exit which had not been used much so had about 4 inches of snow on it. We made it half way down the exit and the car spun slowly around and stopped facing us the wrong direction and we were STUCK. Come to find out Steve's car is rear-wheel drive, which is the worst kind to have in the snow. AND.... all the Germans put snow tires on their car by mid-Oct and we did not have them. So, a wonderful nice German man who was coming down the exit stopped to help us, and I am sure thought we were a little crazy. After becoming unstuck, getting stuck again, and getting unstuck again we finally made it to the hotel. A five minute drive took us about 40. Boy were we grateful to that nice German man. We had a great time at the hotel eating and sleeping and we watched "A night at the museum" which was kind of dumb, but cute. We had a very relaxing time. I forgot my camera, so you don't get any pictures of snow, but we didn't ever leave the hotel anyway, because we got there at dinner time and left right after breakfast.

When we got home we thanked our babysitters for being so wonderful. Then Steve made a fabulous steak for dinner with a yummy mushroom cream sauce. Steven made a fruit salad that he had learned to make at school with his class, and I made tomalito. Very delish. Then Steve made brownies for the cake, and put as many candles as he could fit on them. I think there were only 24.

I was telling Steve, I would so much rather have a night away or a little vacation or something for my birthday, because I can't ever think of anything that I want to unwrap. So last year we went to Prague as a family and this year we had a night away in the Black Forest. It was perfect!!

{Brandon at 2months 3weeks}

5 comments:

Emily said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Teresa!! I'm glad you were able to get away even for a short time...and I'm glad you made it there safely:) You have a sweet husband!!

Roger said...

All of that crazy driving made me think of "step, bump, step, bump, bump."

Roeckers said...

How time flies. I feel like it was just yesterday you were celebrating your B-day in NY. Happy Belated Birthday!!
I am glad you were able to get away. It always feel good to leave the little bugs behind and have a nice quite time. Glad no damage was done to Steve's car and that you are alright. Loves to all

Anonymous said...

That sounds like such a great birthday. I'm so glad it was so nice. What a perfect gift from Steve. I'm still so sad I didn't get to talk to you on that day. I should have just called and woken you up . . . but now I can't find my calling card. And I just put $20 on it for this occasion.I stink at this. Um, will you please call me so I can say happy birthday?

Happy Birthday to you! I love you!

Williams Family Dirt said...

Happy Birthday Teresa, sounds like you had a wonderful time!