Thursday, March 01, 2007

M. Russell Ballard


On Sunday it was announced at church that M. Russell Ballard would be coming to Germany to speak to the Americans that are living here. He was going to come to the Nurenburg area, which is about 2 hours away from us. Some of the ladies in the Branch really wanted to go, so I decided I would go too. I left Steve with the boys, and myself and 4 other ladies drove down to see an Apostle.

Right when I saw him, he did not look familiar at all. I thought he should have, but he didn't. We were early, so he was going around shaking peoples hands and when he shook my hand, he said "How are you all doing today." I smiled and said, "Great, Thank you. Your voice sounds so familiar." He chuckled at that and kept walking. It just struck me when I heard him talk that although I didn't recognize his face, I definitely knew that voice. Kind of a cheesy thing to say, but I am sure people have said cheesier.

Anyway. His talk was fantastic, and I am so happy I went. He speaks on a much more personal level when he is speaking to a small group of 200 compared to when he is speaking in General Conference. It was wonderful to hear him.

His message was about how many people can be converted in their minds that the church is true, but it is not until we are converted in our hearts and souls that we are truly converted. And when that happens we can be like a Big Oak Tree who will be beat by the storm but because of it's deep roots we will not fall down with all the beating. Even when all the smaller trees around us have fallen. It was a great message and was just really nice to hear him speak and hear a little more about his life.

About a week ago, he was in Kuwait to talk to the soldiers there, and wanted to come through German to speak to the people stationed here. So, after he was done talking, he asked if all the soldiers that were there in uniform would come up to be in a picture with him that he was going to take back to the First Presidency.

It was an awesome experience!

About a year ago, L. Tom Perry came to our little Branch to speak to our congregation as well. I remember thinking he was really tall. So, I guess Germany is the place to come if you want to see one of the 12 Apostles. :)



6 comments:

Scott B. said...

That is really neat. How cool for you. I like what you said to him.

Oh, um Utah is another good place for seeing apostles if you don't want to go all the way to Germany.

Alicia

Jessica said...

Well China is NOT the place to go to see them!

That is so cool that you got to see him and hear him speak. I think it is amazing how the apostles really are trying to reach every area on the globe, well, except China.

Teresa said...

Yeah, Utah is a good place to see them, but I have seen them in Utah, including the prophet. Having them come to your Branch, or sitting in the fourth row when they are speaking is quite a bit different. I feel like it is different anyway. :)

Sue said...

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing. I love the picture of him hugging the female soldier. I am so happy that you were able to go and that Steve babysat so that you could.

laura said...

That picture really does not look like the M. Russell Ballard I'm thinking of. Interesting.

Roeckers said...

cool sounds like you had fun!

What a wonderful oppertunity. Funny how you have to go to Germany to get so close. That is were I met all the general authorities I have.