Saturday, March 31, 2007

Decorating help

So, with half of my family coming this Spring/Summer, Steve and I have decided that maybe we should hang some pictures on the wall since we collect them every time we travel. We have decorated very little in the 6.5 years we have been married, so this is a big step for us. It is frustrating too, because I don't have a clue what I am doing. :)

Anyway, we need some advice. We have a picture that we got while we were in Italy, and Steve has made a frame for it (his new hobby). He is finished with the frame, but neither of us are happy with the color, because it matches the wall exactly. It will be easy to change colors since he just has to paint it, but we don't know what color to paint it.


I haven't cleaned the glass yet from Steve working with it, but the corner picture will give you a closer look at the picture and the color of the frame next to the wall. Please share your decorating talent with us!

7 comments:

Roeckers said...

stain it a dark mahongany, it think that matches everything and goes with your other pic frames if I remember correctly.

Love the pic! I've been there.

Roeckers said...

Sorry I meant to comment. Awesome frame work Steve!

Alicia said...

Teresa - Of course I have an opinion on this. I just wanted to share what I have done. Starting with going to Argentina and then continuing with trips to Europe and South America I have also collected paintings of the places I've gone. I think it is the perfect souviner. I have them all in one room to display them. I chose different colored mats for each, but then have the same color frame for each to tie them together. I chose black for the frames. I think this is a cool way to show your collection. So, this is one idea.
Looking at your painting, I would stain it to look like wood because that goes with anything. I don't know what stain though without seeing other decorations and frames in your house though.
Another thought though is to leave it white. I actually like the white and I wouldn't mind that it matches the wall.
Ok, Brie is bawling because I won't let her type. Gotta go.

Steve said...

The only problem is that the frame has already been made and painted. It's not a quick task for me. It's going to have to be a color that can be painted, because it's too late to stain. I've got another that I'm making, but it's a different style frame. Teresa doesn't want it because it's a different style, but it could be stained to match the other frame in color.

Kam said...

I actually like it white, or as Alicia said, go with black. I think the purple-ish mat looks great! Good job on decorating. We have tons of picts that will probably never go up in our new flat because the walls are brick or something and pounding nails in is disastrous, I've learned.

laura said...

I haven't commented because I just don't know. To me, it's more about what the rest of the room looks like. I would want it to be stained to match the rest of the wood in the room- but Steve said no staining. And then, I do like the white frame, but not against a white wall. You lose the frame in the wall. Do you have any painted walls in the house where you could put it with the white frame. For me, it's too pastel to be in a black frame. So, there you go. I guess I have no answer. Sorry. If Steve would be willing to do another one- I say wood(matching the rest of your furniture).

Roger said...

Black