Monday, February 12, 2007

Rain, Rain

We got our new camera in the mail from Mom a couple of weeks ago, and are LOVING it. I was afraid I wouldn't like it because it was big, but it is the same size as my other camera so that is what I am use to, and it is so light. We really love it. So thank you Mom and Dad for the Christmas gift.

It has been raining here so much lately. This is usually when we get our snow, but it has rarely gone below freezing this winter, so we are getting rain instead. It has been the weirdest winter here. The typical highs have been in the mid 40's which is quite high.

So, of course the boys have found a way to enjoy the rain. This is in a lot next to our house that has a perfect puddle.
We were bored enough that I didn't even make Steven get out of the puddle when his whole boot was getting covered.




The outfit that Steven is wearing is what the German kids put on every time they leave their houses in the winter. It is a snow bib, boots, coat, hat and gloves. It seemed so weird for me at first, but once they are old enough to put it all on themselves it is quite nice. They stay plenty warm and when they play outside they keep their clothes completely clean. Nathan hasn't warmed up to the idea of adorning himself in all of that gear whenever he leaves the house. It is a good thing this winter has been warm or the teachers would have my head. They do ask them to wear rain gear when it is wet, but warmer. Which would consist of rain bibs, coat, boots, hat. Germans don' t like to be cold. :) They are great.

6 comments:

Roeckers said...

You know I always thought it was weird how the Germans would over clothe their kids. The babies always had those huge down blankets over them and the bibs on the old kids.

Liza's school makes them wear snow pants if it's near freezing, and they do go outside everyday rain/snow/shine (unless it is a red air day). So I guess either the German ideas are either jumping the pond or my idea of dressing kids in seasonal wear is old fashioned.

Sue said...

I love the pictures! Great way to be outside and enjoy the weather!

Yesterday was beautiful here, so I let Davin swing on a palm frond that was hanging down at church. Most of the men walking by thought it looked like a great idea. So does jumping in a puddle.

Jessica said...

I love warm clothes. I was miserable in the freezing cold here until I accepted the fact that the people in rural China KNOW how to live in rural China. So I bought some Chinese, fur lined boots, I wear about six layers and I never shower. I am much warmer and therefore happier living like the locals.

Bryce said...

it seems like wherever you are you get warmer weather than I have, maybe i'll just move in with you. Ukrainians are the same with warmth, and oddly enough, so are girls in provo.

Roeckers said...

When did Jessica leave for China?

Olson Clan said...

I know what you mean. When we had Isaac at the end of DEc. the germans were always fussing that we didn't have him warm enough!!!