Thursday, January 25, 2007

Triberg

So, I don't know what has happened to me, but I have turned in to a traveler I guess. We had been home for about a week from a long vacation to California and Steve and I were just getting the urge to go on a trip. So, of course we did. :) We have stayed in this same hotel in Triberg at least 4 times since we have been here, and we love going to this area for some reason. So last Thursday we left for a two day vacation, and took some friends of ours with us.

The first day we went to see the waterfall which was something we have done with both mine and Steve's parents. It was lightly raining all day that day, but it has been so warm here in Germany, that is wasn't too cold to be out getting wet.


The water was pretty dirty


In the evening we played a couple of games of Settlers which as you know is one of our favorite things to do, and the next morning we had a wonderful German breakfast of rolls, cold cuts, and cheese. That is one of my favorite things about this hotel, I just have good memories of their breakfast. :)

Then we checked out of the hotel, but we wanted to see one more thing before we headed home. Well, they had a brochure in their visitor info building that listed many different things to do in the area. There was one that talked about climbing on rocks and that it would be heaven for children. So... of course that is the one we decided to find. Little did I know that something that was advertised in a brochure would be SOOO hard to find. We asked 3 different people for directions, and had to turn around a couple of different times to find this place. I couldn't believe how hard it was to find. BUT, boy are we glad we did. We got out of the car and started on this little trail in the mountains, and it was absolutely gorgeous. The boys were thrilled because we were walking through the "black forest" which is what this whole area of Germany is called. We eventually did find some rocks, but they were right at the edge of a cliff, and I can't imagine anyone that would let their kids climb on them. It was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen though. So, it all worked out just wonderfully. And now a week later, I am ready to go see something else.

This was a clearing at the beginning of the hike. Steve couldn't resist, and broke into song with "The Hills are Alive with the Sound of Music."






This is the rock at the end of the hike, it was at the top of the mountain and had quite a view as you can imagine.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That place is incredible and I am so jealous about how warm it is there. These blog posts are becoming advertisements for vacations with the Hughes'. I wonder if I could "pass through" on my way back to NYC.

Sarah A said...

Wow!! That looks like a ton of fun, and is absolutely beautiful. Kudos to you for traveling so often. Your boys are going to be quite the globetrotters.

Anonymous said...

I have finally seen something more beautiful than I think I can find in the USA. Thanks for the wonderful travelog; we are busily planning our trip for September!

laura said...

Absolutely beautiful. What an amazing place to live. Keep the picts coming.

Roger said...

Ps anonymous is your mom

Roeckers said...

sounds like you are having a blast, I am so jealous!!

If you loved that walk on hte rocks your kids would love the Felsenmeer, in Lautertal, out by where the Schmidts live which is way closer. It is a serious rock fall with the German's version of a zoo at the top. Here is a link to one site with a few pics. It isn't that great but you can get the idea. http://www.felsenmeer.org/zweck-felsenmeer.php

or
http://www.geo-naturpark.de/