Friday, August 17, 2007

Mother Teresa Strikes Again

(This is Tawna)
As many of you have probably already heard, Hughes boy number four was born today at 5:29 P.M. Finally! He was due Monday and all at the house, and church, were becoming extremely impatient with him. His name is Brandon Curtis Hughes and he was 9 lbs. 11 oz. and 22. 4 inches. Teresa went to the doctor this morning at 9:00 and he said nothing had changed; she still had not dilated at all and she only had one small contraction while they were monitoring her. So, she came home, layed on the couch for about 10 minutes while the boys finished a movie, then we headed off to The Vivarium. The Vivarium is a little zoo that is about 20 minutes from home that apparently the boys love and I enjoyed it very much too. It really was cool. Anyway, we were starting to walk over to see some other animals after checking out the kangaroos when Teresa stopped. So I turn around and she says "My water just broke." My thoughts: "Oh crap." But all was fine. We rushed to the car, Teresa ahead of the boys and me. I was trying to round them up and tell them that we had to hurry and leave but they just did not understand that the baby was COMING! Probably because we had been telling them that for the past week...
By the time we got to the car her pants were soaked all the way to her ankles. She called Steve as we were getting in the car so I drove her to the hospital and Steve made perfect timing, running in the doors as I was driving out. We drove home, got her bag, drove it back to the hospital, then made a McDonalds stop before going home since the boys were quite upset that we had to leave The Vivarium so quickly.
Here is what happened at the hospital through what Steve just told me. They took her in, the nurse checked her and told her she was only at a 3 so to go walk around for an hour then come back. After about 40 minutes the contractions became so strong they had to go back. The nurses were still trying to clear a lady out from the Birthing Room who had just given birth so they told Teresa she was going to have to wait. She was having very strong contractions at this point and told the nurse "I have to push! This baby is coming out!" so she walked over to the Birthing Room, they called the doctor, and within 10 minutes little Brandon was out. He only cried for about 10 minutes and was "awake and looking around" the rest of the time. Both mother and son are doing well and we will go visit them tomorrow morning! Here are some pictures that Steve took of him tonight:
[This is the first picture I saw when I turned the camera on and I could not stop laughing. He is honestly the fattest human I have ever seen.]




11 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is Mom. What a beautiful, large baby. I am so happy that he is here!!! He is beautiful, and Tawna is right, so fat! Teresa, you look great, tired, but great. Great blog, Tawna, the story couldn't have been told better! Great work Teresa and Steve! Way to go on getting right there, Steve.

laura said...

Holy COW!!! I honestly have never seen a baby that big!- except on the news when the worlds biggest baby was born. He is so huge and just as adorable as all the other Hughes boys have been. I want to hold him SO bad. (Although it probalby wouldn't be like holding a tiny little newborn.) Keep the pictures and updates coming. The delivery sounds fast and furious- reminds me of Davin's. Tell Teresa good job and congrats. He is beautiful.

Roger said...

Good Job! Everyone looks beautiful!
Only 6 more if you want to win!
I am very happy that even though Tawna had thoughts of "Oh Crap," those words never escaped her lips. Otherwise - hot sauce.

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! I have been looking at these pictures for an hour now with Laura and then Scott and I still can't believe it! He is adorable, of course, but also the largest baby I have ever seen! How was he inside of you? How did you get him out? How did you only gain 10 pounds? AMAZING! You absolutely do look great. You look so skinny! I bet nursing him will continue to milk you dry and you will be skin and bones soon. Sounds like the delivery was a good one for you. I'm glad Steve was there in time and Tawna was able to take care of the fam. By the way Tawna, that was a great write up. You write really well. You need a blog of your own. You also sound so at ease telling about a delivery and driving around Germany, etc. Good for you.

Well, Congrats on baby Brandon. I wish we could meet him soon. I can already tell he is going to have a really great personality. He is VERY CUTE!!

Steve said...

Okay, I have a couple of comments of my own. First and foremost, thank you all for your wonderful comments. I'm hoping that my side of family will soon join in the comment leaving. They're all on vacation, so hopefully as soon as they get back.

Sue: Thank you for your compliments. Getting there is easy when you have the philosophy "95 stay alive"

Skinner Family (Laura): Are you calling my new boy a cow? even if you say he's beautiful, did you call him a beautiful holy cow?

Roger: We love Tawna, she's doing a fab job here. If only "Oh crap" were the worst of things she says. I've heard her say "Dang it", "You're such a dork", "You're almost as annoying as my dad!", and "That's tight" I'll leave it up to you to administer the hot sauce, though!

Finally Alicia: Your's are less comments and more answers:
Q: How was he inside you?
A: www.how_babys_are_made.com
Q: How did you get him out?
A: www.Baby_Delivering_Process.edu
Q: How did you only gain 10 pounds?
A: www.pregnant_Workout.gov or www.keep_off_unnecessary_pounds_during_pregnancy.co.uk

Thanks, again, for all of your wonderful comments!

Anonymous said...

Hi. This is Terri.
LOVED Steve's comments. Your house must be one fun place to live.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! He's beautiful and Teresa, you look GREAT! Walking at the zoo one minute - holding your new baby Brandon the next hour. Maximum efficiency. Way to go.

Tawna- you told an outstanding story. The next JK Rowling.

And to Steven - I had a hornet sting recently. Ouch. Good luck with the ear, and in school.

Finally - Aug 17th is Jeni's daughter Shae's birthday (9yrs old). I'll always remember Brandon!
Love, Terri

Emily said...

CONGRATULATIONS to you both!!! He's SO cute!!! I just want to pinch his cheeks:) You look amazing for just having had a baby, Teresa!! Good job!

Kristin said...

Teresa and Steve:
Congrats to you both! I cannot believe you went and had that baby while I was on vacation. How dare you. :) LOL. He is so gorgeous! I love the birth story. Nurses telling you that you have to wait. That's classic. Like you have any choice in the matter! :) Anyway, congrats again, guys! I look forward to more pictures!!

Hardy Family said...

Hey guys! Well, we had a great time on our vacation and it looks like you guys had a great time too - just in a different way :-)
Little Brandon is so beautiful! He makes such a great addition to your family. Can't wait to see you guys in November! I've got a lot of spoiling to do and the kids are already planning a sleep-over.
Be on the look-out for a special gift in the mail in the next couple of weeks.
Talk to you soon. Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

ok guys here I go again trying to put my 2 cents on your blog. Little Brandon is BEEutiful and just the right size for a little guy. Congratulations to all, can't wait to see the new addition!! Mom Hughes

Olson Clan said...

Oh, Teresa, congratulations!!! He is beautiful! Now it is my turn to wish that I could bring you supper. Give him kisses from us, and the other boys too.