Thursday, May 31, 2007

Our Second Home

Tonight is the last night that Wingers Restaurant in Germany will be open. We went out to dinner there on Tuesday to say goodbye.

Wingers is a restaurant that I think first started in Utah. Steve and I had one really close to our house in Orem right after we got married and we frequented the place. I specifically remember that we went out to eat there on our way to the hospital to have Steven. I was 2 days overdue and had been dilated to a 4 for two weeks, so the Dr. just told us to come in whenever we were ready. So, we went out to dinner and then headed to the hospital. (That was a bad idea by the way)
{Steven took this picture for us}

So, when we moved to Germany and found out they had a Wingers here, we were thrilled. Especially when we found out it was outside the gate. The American posts here are surrounded by gates with guards at the entrance. Since Steve is not in the Army, we cannot get past the gates which is where they have an American grocery store, a Taco Bell, a Thrift Store, an English movie theater, etc. All of our friends at church are military, so they go on post all the time, but we do not have passes. That was REALLY hard for a long time, so it was so nice to have Wingers outside the gate.

Wingers also takes American Dollars instead of the Euro that we use every where else, so we felt like we were saving money every time we went there. For all these reasons, and because we love to go out to eat, we have gone there about every other week for 3 years.

Well, the base here is closing, and they are moving the soldiers back to the states as fast as they can. So...they are starting to close a lot of the facilities as well. And that is why they are closing Wingers. I feel like we have been enough times now that we are OK to see it go, but it sure was a great feel of home whenever we needed it.

For some reason all of these pictures are kind of blurry. I don't know why, but I will use them anyway.
{Steve got these fajitas that he loves all 5000 times we went to Wingers}

{Steven found his love for a loaded baked potato here}

{And here is the hill out front that the boys loved to play on while Steve was inside paying the bill. We rarely left Wingers without the boys climbing up this hill. }

7 comments:

Emily said...

How fun! I bet it's hard to see that place go! I would die without some American "familiarity!" Thanks for sharing.

Stephanie said...

I love that you got to pick when you had your baby and casually went out to eat before. That is the greatest- but I guess it didn't turn out how you expected. Love the photos.

Roeckers said...

Man I remember the good old dinner dates to Wingers. the Fijitas are my favorite too.

I can't believe it is all disappearing. If we ever get to go back the place will be empty. How far are they from closing CFK? Hows the branch? Sad times....

Olson Clan said...

We loved this place!!! It felt like we were always there, so many of the wait staff knew us.... Sad to hear that it is going, I remember when they opened. What about kid zone? do you know if that is closing anytime soon?

Kristin said...

That's so cool that they had a Wingers there. Too bad they're closing. Do you remember taking me to a Wingers in Utah for my birthday? That is a great memory!

Alicia said...

Every time we pass a Wingers we think of the Hughes family. I'm glad you got to enjoy the place you love so much even while living in Germany. Too bad it's leaving. I guess that just means you'll be eating even more Bratwurst!

Anonymous said...

Anytime you want. Send me money and I will send you some Wingers by mail.