Monday, May 21, 2007

A little about Jacobie

As many of you know(or have figured out), Jacob was totally unplanned. Steve kept telling me that I was being a brat, and acting pregnant, and I kept telling him, "You are crazy. We have a 6 month old baby!" Well sure enough after taking a pregnancy test in October, we confirmed that Steve was right, and by then I was already 2 months pregnant. How did that happen?? We wondered the same thing.:)


When Jacob was born, Nathan had just learned how to walk about 2 weeks before, and he was expected to be a big boy. Jacob was born in Bakersfield while I was staying at my parents house, and Steve was sealing the deal for us in Germany. It worked out quite well, although he came into a pretty unsettled family.

As I look back on it, I am glad that Jacob came when he did. Had we waited it either would have been years before I had another one because of uneasiness in Germany, or I would have had to move to Germany and have a baby shortly thereafter. With all the other headache moving to Germany brought, I am glad I didn't have to have a baby until I was perfectly comfortable here. He was 5 weeks old when we got here.



Jacob seems to be my child whom everyone just gets a kick out of. When he learned to walk and then run, people would just sit and watch him because it looked so funny. He swings his arms along as he walks. He also has some pretty funny things to say. He always tells me, "I can speak German Mom. Ich Nein." Which means I No.
He has a little bridge of freckles across his nose from the sun last summer, and Steve asks him, "What do you have on your face." He says "polkadoths." (with a little "s" lisp)
And as the family may well remember from Christmas, his favorite thing to say is, "I hungry Momma." Typically this is said just after we get up from the table. He has a tricky way of not eating real food up to the table, but then gets all the snacks and goodies that come in between the meals.

For this past year Jacob and I have become great "shopping friends." With Steven and Nathan in school, and a car for me, we are gone most days from 9-12 while the boys are in school. We have done a lot of fun things including shopping, scrapbooking, going to a kinder playgroup, or anything else other than staying at home and cleaning which is what I used to do in the morning. :)

He plays quite nicely with his brothers, and is ready to be a bike rider just like them. Although he does not feel left out when we leave them at school and go out on the town.


I have really enjoyed Jacob as my little friend. I almost didn't send him to Kindergarten next year, because he is my comfort zone while shopping in Germany. It is an obvious heads up that I may not speak German when people hear me talking to Jacob in English. Now I will be shopping with an unspeaking baby and I won't be as obvious. Jacob is going to start school in July or August, and I hope he does well, and adjusts as well as Nathan has. It has been a great experience for the other boys, and I hope it will be for him.

We love our little Jacob boy(attitude and all) and are so happy to have him in our family!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Teresa - So it is 4:55am and I am up with Brielle, who can't seem to sleep past 5am. We just sat and looked at all the pictures of Jacob together. He is such a cute boy. I loved the post about him. It really is neat to look back and see that him coming when he did worked out the very best. He is so sweet.

Jessica said...

Man I love that kid! We really bonded in the hospital in Germany and that picture brought back all of those memories. I can't wait to become independently wealthy or find a sugar daddy so that I don't have to work and can visit you all whenever I want.

laura said...

Oh, I miss Jacob. What a great post. He is such a funny boy. I can just see him walking, swinging his arms and hear his gruff little voice. I can't wait to see you guys again. When will that be?????

Olson Clan said...

Great post! That picture of him in the hospital made me remember that time. funny how he looks as if he doesn't have a care in the world.

Sue said...

What a wonderful tribute to Jacob, I hope that you print it to save for him. Isn't it funny how sometimes surprises work out for the best? You do a great job as parents of 3 little boys.