Thursday, November 30, 2006

New York 3

K-I'm back.

So, Saturday Jessica woke up early and headed off to work in the temple like she does every Saturday. I left a little later, and braved the subway all by myself. I did Great with Jessica's instructions. I stopped at a cafe and had a bagel with cream cheese that was yummy (they don't have bagels in Germany) and then headed in to the temple myself. I did a wonderful session, and then Jessica and I left at the same time.

After the temple we went shopping a little for clothes and books, but didn't spend too much money. She took me to Harlem where you are away from the touristy area. It is quite different, and I just didn't feel as safe anywhere in New York as I do in my town.

In the evening we went to where the musical Wicked plays, which is a very popular Broadway show, and Jessica's favorite. We tried to win tickets with this drawing they do, but of course we did not win. So we tried for another show that I can't remember the name of, but we struck out there too, so we decided to go eat some cheesecake.
Oh what a great idea that was. The best cheesecake I have ever tasted right there in New York City.





Then we went over to a huge Toys R Us they have in Time Square that was such a cool store. The boys would have loved it, but oh well. :)




We also went to check out Little Italy and China Town but most everything had closed, so I didn't get much, but I got the idea.


While I was sitting in the bagel shop Saturday morning I was making a list of all the firsts I was having on this vacation.

1. The first time I have left any of my kids for longer than 24 hours.
2. The first time I have flown alone.
3. The first time I have been to NY and all the fun that comes with that.
4. The first time I have done a temple session by myself.
5. The first time I have seen a Broadway show.
6. The first time I have spent so much money on myself.

Oh what a wondeful vacation it was!


P.S. Pictures of Mary Poppins. See, I really was there.


7 comments:

Roeckers said...

That is a lot of firsts! I bet you feel rejuivenated (sp)?! I long for the day I can leave my children for 24hrs+. I am glad you have such a wonderful hubby to spoil you with such a wonderful birthday present! Glad you enjoyed it. Steve will have to work hard to top this birthday next year :)

Sarah A said...

What a fun trip!! How nice that you get to see NY with Jessica who knows it so well. It's always more fun to tour places with someone who knows and loves it. Maybe someday I will do a trip alone like that, but I don't think I have earned it quite yet.

Sue said...

Your trip sounds so exciting! I am loving reading about it! Thank you to Jessica for showing you the magic of NYC! How fun to have so many firsts!

Roger said...

You did not mention that it was the first time that you could have Jessica psycho-analyze just you for several days.
It sounds like a wonderful trip but I would hate spending all that time on a plane by myself.

Jessica said...

It was a great trip and great Cheesecake. For me it was interesting to have someone to talk to on the subways. Even though I live in a VERY densely populated city I am usually alone in the sense that I am not around anyone that I know when I am going from place to place.
By the way, this Toys R Us is NOT new just big and cool, but as I said to Teresa, it is the ONLY thing that I think it would be cool to have kids around to see. I don't think the rest of NYC would be much fun for or with kids.
Unless your kids get a kick out of seeing the bums puke onto the subway tracks.

Jessica said...

Also, this was the first time one of my guests went to the temple while they were here. I love the Manhattan temple so much. It is one of my favorite place on the planet because I feel like there is such a stark contrast between the temple and the world here. There are no temple grounds to serve as a buffer. You just go from noisy crazy dirty NYC street through a door to silence, cleanliness and a startling peace.

laura said...

Oh, how fun. One day, I want to do a trip like that with ALL the ladies of the family. We just need to schedule our kids so that we can all leave them at the same time. Maybe in 10 years or something...