Monday, November 27, 2006

New York 2

So, we woke up the next morning and got out of the house about 9 or so. We first went to the Post Office to mail German Christmas goodies to the family. It was great to be able to use the good ol' U.S. postal service again. Then we went quickly over to the Mary Poppins theater to get tickets for the show. We bought them for that night. We also put our names in a drawing to try and win David Letterman tickets, but of course we didn't win.

Then we went to Ground Zero. They have a big display of pictures and a timeline of what happened on that day.

I started crying of course, and had to think of something else for a minute. It just makes me soo sad to think what those people inside the buildings went through, and then all of the families whose lives were changed that day. It was amazing to see it from where you get off the subway. Jessica said there use to be an entrance in to the building from the subway, and I guess the rubble flew into the subway tunnel as well.

The construction behind me is the site of the twin towers. They are building something as a memorial.


This is in front of the display of pictures. You will have to forgive my looks. I thought that outfit looked better on me than it does. Oh well, I will know for next time. If you look real close you can see Jessica in this picture as well. :)


We walked past the NY Stock Exchange, and then went across to Staten Island on a Ferry and got to catch a glimpse of the Statue of Liberty, and the Brooklyn Bridge. We got on the Ferry just as the sun was going down.

Jessica with the Bull


Then we got back to time square where we had a showtime with Mary Poppins. It was so cool to be at a Broadway show! And I swear I thought I was over my jet lag. I got about 8 hours of sleep so I should have been good to go! Well, I fell asleep a number of times during the show. It was just such a comfortable seat, and the lights were off, and I guess I was tired. Jessica was not too pleased with that. She told me to eat some peanut M&Ms from the snack bar, and then gave me the most horrible tasting mints ever and said that is how she keeps herself awake at work when necessary. I only fell asleep in one minute increments though, so I saw basically all of the show, and it as great. The children actors were so good, and they did such a cute number with Supercalifragilistic.

Well, needless to say, after the show we went home and went to bed. We had planned on going out for cheesecake afterwards, but I totally forgot about that. :) We also forgot to take pictures in front of the theater, but we went back and did that later. Those pictures will be on a later blog.

7 comments:

laura said...

How fun. I can't wait to go those places someday that we always here about- Staten Island, etc. I'm curious about those "mints" Jessica gave you. She sure has become an experimenter in NY. I would steer clear of anything she hands you from a small plastic baggie claimng to keep you awake.

Roger said...

Thanks for taking the time to share. The photograpy was great too. Good job on taking the picture of Jessica and the bull. It somehow seemed very apropos.

Sue said...

Again, thank you for sharing your interesting day. I wonder if everyone cries the first time they see ground zero?

Alicia said...

Wow. How cool for you that you got to visit all of those places. It looks like an amazing experience. I especially liked hearing about your Broadway play. I did the same thing in "Thoroughly Modern Millie". You are just exhausted after walking around all day long. And you had jet lag too. I am glad you got to do your New York trip!

Jessica said...

I would like to know why it seemed "apropos" for me to be standing with the bull. Do you know the significance of the bull?
Ground Zero has turned in to just a big construction site. It used to be a a lot sadder and more somber. The memorial is going to be an office building and two giant reflection pools like the footprints of the towers.
Mary Poppins was great and perfect for Teresa's conservative taste. Too bad she slept through it.

Roger said...

For Jessica,
The bull stands for how you take the bull by the horns, or something like that, yea that's right.
If Teresa's tastes are conservative, what are yours?

Teresa said...

Was Dad joking when he said the photography was great?? I need a new camera soo bad.