Monday, May 25, 2009

Short camping trip

What a weekend! We were supposed to go camping with a family in our ward this weekend and we were all geared up for a great time. Well, since the rain doesn't seem to want to stop this spring, we cancelled the trip because there was a 70% chance of rain day and night in the city we were supposed to camp in. Since Steve and I are not deterred that easily from camping he got on the computer to find a place we could camp where it wouldn't be raining. He found a place in North Carolina that was a six hour drive, but had a 0% chance of rain.

We got there at 10pm and set up camp pretty easily. At about 2am it started raining. Steve and I had to get out of bed to put the rain covers on. It only last for about an hour so that was fine.

Eggs in a frame the first morning.




That day we went on a beautiful waterfall hike and had a great time. There were three places you had to cross the river like this. They were all pretty dangerous because of the slippery rocks, and one of them was a pretty good fall if you slipped. I was shocked that these were on a trail suggested by the campground staff. There were plenty of people up there with kids though.


At the top. The black dog at Steven's feet is named Spot. I guess she is the guide dog. She belongs to a man that lives at the bottom of the trail, and she just walks people up the path all day. We didn't know why she was with us at first, but she did always know where the next turn was. It was pretty amazing.


The boys of course put there feet in. They eventually got completely in swimsuits and really got wet.


Jacob's new way of protesting something he doesn't agree with. Poor guy.


This is another place we had to cross. Don't even think about what would happen if Steve slipped. It was giving me a mini heart attack. And the one I didn't get a picture of was way worse.




After the hike we came home to make dinner, but there were some big ugly clouds overhead so we went to Taco Bell for dinner. When we got back from dinner it was pouring rain. So, we put the kids to bed with it raining and hoped it would stop. It Didn't! It rained ALL NIGHT LONG. The boys slept all through the night but when we checked their tent the next morning it was filled with water. Thank heavens for waterproof sleeping bags. There pillows were drenched though.

I cleaned up the water while Steve went to get a paper to read the forecast. It said rain morning and night for the rest of the weekend. We decided to head home after we had some eggs in a frame. Unfortunately it decided to rain the minute we finished our breakfast, so Steve and I turned a movie on for the boys and started cleaning up in the pouring rain. We didn't want to sit there for hours waiting for the rain to stop, just to get in the car and sit there for hours on our drive home. We have never taken camp down so fast. We just shoved everything in the van the best we could, water and all, and headed for home. We got home early enough that we could lay everything out to dry. Ironically things at home were dry and sunny. We had tents and sleeping bags, and air mattresses and shoes lying all over our driveway drying off. Then we grilled hamburgers, took showers and got in our nice cozy beds. Crazy.

We have just been being lazy today. We decided to fill up our pool so the boys have been playing in that while it fills up. They have had a great day.

12 comments:

Emily said...

How fun. What great memories for your family. Those pictures are amazing! What a beautiful place!!

Kristin said...

You guys will never cease to amaze me. I am so impressed that you just picked up and took a 6 hour drive to a camp site. Amazing! Truly these will be great memories for the boys!!! Way to go, guys!!

Steve said...

I would like to emphasize just how dangerous those river crossings were. The water was moving so fast, if you had accidentally stepped in, it would have pulled you in and whisked you downstream. Not to mention they were so deep! I was totally sceered, I broke down and started crying when I realized that I needed to cross them... and with Brandon on my shoulders, to boot. If you want to really see how dangerous and crazy those crossings, Teresa says that you should zoom in on the picture!

Teresa said...

Very annoying STEVE! Everyone knows how dangerous slippery rocks can be. I never implied you would get whisked downstream, but you could uh... crack your head open on a rock. Duh! But thank you for your drama.

Steve said...

I do believe that both Steven and Nathan "fell in." They got pretty wet... well, up to their ankles. But hey, those shoes and socks were wet the WHOLE day! Now that's dangerous! They could have been infected with foot fungus and lost their feet had we not dried them in time!

Olson Clan said...

Love you guys!! Always up for the adventure. Life is never boring in your family and I think that is the perfect way to live it!!!

laura said...

I LOVE that picture of Jacob "protesting". Looks like a great camping trip. Being in a tent, listening to rain, sounds wonderful to me right now. Up until my pillow gets wet- then I want to go home. Glad you guys had a fun adventure.

Kristi said...

I am so glad we didn't go with you!!! Andy and I are not that adventurous...at least not in the rain. Andy put up the tent in our screened in porch and the kids slept out there which made them a little happier. They do keep asking me when we are going so we will have to reschedule soon!

Sue said...

What a beautiful trip! Too bad about the rain. Did it rain in your original spot, or did the storm follow you?

Williams Family Dirt said...

What fun memories!! I love camping, boys make it sooo much fun. They love being dirty, I have gotten over that part some. You can bond with your children while camping better than any other vacation in my opinion. I can't wait for our camping trips!

Roger said...

6 Hours!
You really must have wanted to get out of town. And then to have to put up with Steve crying when he crossed the streams. Was it worth it?

Alicia said...

I am so jealous!!! I am jealous of going camping (still too snowy here). I wish I could go on that beautiful hike. And boy oh boy, what I wouldn't give for an eggs in a frame made over the fire! Lucky ducks! I'm glad you had fun even in the rain. One of my favorite memories is of when we set up camp in Spanish Fork with the whole family and sat in the tent together playing games in the rain. Good job to Steve on not killing the kids on the hike. We had a very similar experience on our hike this weekend.