Monday, December 15, 2008

Time for Christmas

Yes, we are celebrating Christmas at our house this year, even if our blog is stuck on Thanksgiving. Not only are we celebrating it, I am a little ahead of the game which is nice.

I must admit, for the first time since I left, I am missing Germany. Christmas had a lot to offer in Germany including the correct temperature. We are in the 70's this week, and might hit 80 degrees on Wednesday. Crazy. Steven commented that maybe Santa doesn't need all those heavy red clothes this year. :-)

Anyway here are some of our festivities.

We were lucky enough to find a cut-your-own-tree field here in Statesboro. When we got there the man took the boys on a ride in this sleigh that was hooked up to his ride on lawn mower. Sadly my camera batteries died right after I took this picture. But we got the tree and headed home.

We decorated it the next day and are very happy with the chaotic look of it. It looks completely different now by the way, because I keep buying garland, or finding more ornaments, or thinking of other fun things to put on it.

Tonight we thought it would be fun to do gingerbread houses. I bought a kit for Steve to use because we were curious how they looked. I think it looks great, but surprisingly similar to many other pictures I have seen on blogs.


The boys attempted the graham cracker houses and they were fun, but could be a little frustrating. The graham crackers seem to have a mind of their own. I told the boys lets get the house together and then we can put candy and stuff on tomorrow once the "glue" has dried. So that is the plan and now we have extended this fun activity for two days. I will show you how they turn out tomorrow.

We are doing advent of course this year. I have my German advent garland up with lots of candy in it. The boys are excited every night when we count off one more day. When the garland starts to sag you know Christmas is getting close. :-)

I am excited for Christmas and the New Year!

6 comments:

Roeckers said...

graham cracker houses work wonderful when supported by a pint size milk carton (you know the ones heavy cream come in). Makes it some much easier!

We are missing Germany this year too. The Weihnachts Markts and the Christmas eve meetings are some of the things we have been talking about, oh and Kathe Wohlfarht Christmas ornaments.

laura said...

Those gingerbread kits make things pretty simple- too bad you can't eat them. THey are disgusting.
I love that you cut down your own tree. They don't even offer that anywhere around here.

Sue said...

What a fun post! It is fun to see your family traditions grow. Did you find any Christmas in the boxes from Logan? Your entry way looks great!

Roger said...

I say that any graham cracker house can be a palace, if you use enough "glue."
The boys are adorable. Please give a zerbert to every one of them from me.

Grammy said...

We have snow in California right now...perfect Christmas weather...
Yes I am blog hopper, and I found you. Hope thats okay! Your boys are adorable. Merry Christmas.

Alicia said...

Wow. That warm weather sounds WONDERFUL. I can't wait to get to Cali. You know what else is wonderful? Your gingerbread house. It's gorgeous. Nice work. I'm scared of those things. The boys look so cute all linked up in front of the Christmas tree.