Monday, December 22, 2008

Scripture humor

We have started a habit in our home that has stuck pretty good over the past couple of months. We have scripture study every night where we each read a couple of versus and then Steve and I explain them to the boys. We just read one page a night. We are already to the Isaiah chapters in 2nd Nephi and are determined to get through them. I never realized that teaching scriptures to kids could be a funny thing. Here is the humor.

1. Steven and his class were studying Native American Indians shortly after we started reading as a family. We had explained to him that the Lamanites were what we consider the American Indians. So, apparently in his class one day he raised his hand and explained that there was a group of indians called the Lamanites. I asked him what his teacher said about that and of course she had never heard of them. haha
2. The other day I was talking to Jacob and he was asking me about something dying. It wasn't a morbid conversation just a four year old conversation. He said something along the lines of..."If a cat eats this candy bar will it perish?" At first I had no idea where he got such a word, and then realized that he has been listening in scripture study.
3. This is not about scriptures, but a sacrament issue. We were in Sacrament Meeting and they were passing around the water. When I passed the water to Jacob, he said "No Thanks", I looked at him a little surprised and said "take some!" He said in a little angrier voice, "No Thanks, I am not thirsty!" That is when Dad got involved and made Jacob take the water. We definitely need to have a lesson on the sacrament.

In other news....Santa Clause visited our house this evening. His suit seems to be getting a little tight around the leg area, but it should get another showing on Christmas Eve.

5 comments:

Christy said...

Oh my gosh, that skin-tight Santa outfit is hilarious!

laura said...

Love the stories. Steven's teacher was probably thinking "crazy German boy".

I am asking for your permission to use Brandon's Santa picture for my Christmas card this year. I have not laughed that hard in a long time. Ooooh,, I'm still laughing just thinking about it.

Suzanne said...

Awesome post! I love those stories. Great for you on reading with those boys. We are still working our way through all the illustrated stories, and I'm debating moving over to the real thing when we're done. I was going to, but now I wonder if we'll just start the illustrated ones again. I don't know, I mean, you can't stick to the picture books forever!

And I'm with everyone else, I love the Santa outfit!! That is awesome.

Kristin said...

I LOVE the tight Santa suit. And what great stories!

Roger said...

I think Santa looks practically perfect in every way.