Sunday, April 20, 2008

Fantastic Friday night

On Friday night Steve and I went out on a date and had the best steak we have ever had in our lives.

Our next door neighbor Ronya was having a sleep over birthday party and she invited all 3 of the older boys. They were to go over at 5:00pm and stay the night there. Well, since we had some free babysitting, I told Steve we needed to go out for a nice dinner. Of course Brandon tagged along with us, but he is getting used to that. Steve had heard a friend talking about a steakhouse in Frankfurt called "The American Steakhouse" and Steve decided that is where he wanted to go.
We got there and were a little nervous about having Brandon with us, because it was a fairly upscale restaurant. We didn't want anyone complaining about "the baby", but we ordered anyway.
First a really nice waitress who spoke great English came to take our order and she showed us all the different cuts of meat they had. Steve choose a rib eye, and I had three small cutlets with different sauces. We also ordered some garlic bread and I had a cesar salad. For Brandon we asked her to bring us some mashed potatoes, and she brought them in this fancy glass dish with some creamed spinach as well.
I cannot even tell you how good this food was!! And you all thought Steve was a good cook. :) We were in total heaven eating this, and Brandon too. It was cooked perfectly and the seasonings on everything were fabulous!! Dang, we should have been going there for our anniversary these past four years instead of to the castle.
Of course we paid a pretty hefty price for this divine food, but we both say it was absolutely worth it.

After we got home we put B to bed and then had a friendly game of cities and knights. It is an expansion to settlers that Laura and I will teach the family in August. My dear husband is such a superb game player that he beats me at EVERYTHING. I am a fair competitor, but he beats me the majority of the time. Well, he had beat me 10 out of 11 games of playing cities and knights, and I finally won another game on Friday night. I was thrilled, because I beat him pretty good.
It is such a fun game, because it requires more strategy than settlers, so you gotta really plan things out rather than just hope you pick up a lot of cards.
{I told Steve to smile and look happy}

So, that was our great Friday night, and I am so glad we got to spend some time together and eat some memorable steak. I would love to know what the best food you have ever eaten is.

7 comments:

Roeckers said...

I love food so I can't pin point any one thing at the moment ( I am quite munchies and anything but whats in my house sounds good right now). Those steaks look huge!

Glad you got a weekend away and another chance to experience Germany before you move. When is the big day?

Go on ya for whoopping Steve in the game. I love the settlers! I need to expand my gaming skills and try to others. Looks like something similar.

Christy said...

Wow, I don't think I have ever seen a slab of meat that big!

Kam said...

Oh, my goodness! Reading about your dinner made my mouth water, and now I'm CRAVING steak. Yum!! (If you haven't sent that care package yet, throw in a slab or two of that beef, eh?! ha!)

I also looked back at lots of your other posts... now that I finally have time to browse. Looks like you guys are having good times over there -- live it up, it's going to be over so fast! I love the picts of Brandon. Sammie still talks about him, so I guess he made a good impression in the one hour they spent together. :)

Kristin said...

That meat sure does look good! My favorite food, though, would have to be snow crab legs. Mmmmmm...they are so so good, and the best place to get them is at Captain Georges there in Williamsburg. I love that it's buffet style so you don't have to mess with those tiny legs with hardly any meat in them. Just go get more big ones! :)

laura said...

Gross! Raw meat- gross. When I am there, I still want the castle. 6 MORE DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

herb said...

Always fun to read your blog! What was the bill for all that delicious food? Steak is getting OUTRAGEOUS over here!

I wonder if your taste buds will need a while to adjust to good ole American food. Growing up in Germany anything American was always a treat, but now my taste buds crave German food. Funny thing, cakes and such from Germany just don't taste sweet enough anymore!

Williams Family Dirt said...

Every once and a while you gotta splurge! Looks and sounds divine!