Monday, March 03, 2008

Nathan turns 5

Today was Nathan's 5th birthday, and I would say it was a success. I wrapped 2 presents for him to open first thing this morning, and he was quite thrilled with them.
{Oh the pleasures of American cereals.:) }

Later I went to the Kindergarten to celebrate with them. I took peanut butter cookies to share and everyone loved them. Most Germans have never tasted peanut butter cookies.
{They are lifting him up in his chair}This evening we had Nathan's request of burritos/tacos for dinner. We have this about once a week as Tawna can attest to, so it was quite the easy birthday dinner since we used the meat that was cooked up on Friday for burritos.

Then Nathan opened his presents.
{chalk from teachers, light up sticks from us, and a very nice MP3 player from us}

Steve and I listen to books from audible.com all the time, and we love it. Both of us listen to our MP3 players as we are falling asleep. And whenever a book ends, it advertises how nice it is for kids to listen to books being read to them. So, we decided to get Nathan an MP3 player, take some speakers from the office, and download some books that we think they would like. Then they can listen to them after we pray and sing, and fall asleep to it. I am excited to see what it does about the getting up out of bed and the talking/playing for half an hour.

Next we had FHE. We haven't had FHE in about a month because Steve worked 2 Monday nights, then we were in Austria, and last Monday we went to a friends house for a going away party, she did do a Family Home Evening though. Anyway, tonight I wanted to have an FHE on Nathan since it was his b-day. So, we sang Families Can be Together Forever, and then I told the boys how much Heavenly Father loves everyone on the earth, and how Steve and I love them all so much and we are happy they are a part of our family. Then we went upstairs were I had put all our pictures of Nathan into one folder and we watched the pics as a slideshow. It was so fun to see pictures and videos of him when he was so little. I told them a little about every picture. We all loved it.
{So, I was very shocked to see some of Nathan's baby pictures. Like the first one here. In some of the pictures, he is not very attractive at all! So much for thinking I have the cutest babies. It seems Steven and Jacob were cute from the start. Nathan and Brandon not so much. It is a good thing that I think Nathan is one of the cutest kids ever now. }
After the pictures we went down and had his birthday "cake". I built an oreo cake (just a pile of oreos) for his birthday tonight, because I am saving the cake for his birthday celebration next week. We have invited a couple of families over for dinner and birthday cake. Then Steve is going to make a fort in the spare bedroom upstairs for all the kids to play in. Nathan has been so into forts lately and always wants Steve to build him one. So, I figured that would be a fun birthday thing. I am going to put a bunch of balloons in it and try and think of some other things they could do in a fort. Any suggestions? Anyway that is going to happen next Saturday.

7 comments:

Kristin said...

Happy Birthday Nathan!!! The big 5! Woohoo!!!

Sue said...

I love that you are sharing Nathan's birthday in pictures! i love all of them. I think him in the blessing outfit is very cute, I think the picture above it looks like Brandon and is cute, also. Thanks for sharing, we are so happy that Nathan is a part of our family.

Williams Family Dirt said...

What a cutie!! Happy Birthday Nathan!

laura said...

Happy Birthday. I meant to have the kids call and sing. Maybe we will do that tomorrow. Things to do in a fort?????-- They'll figure it out. Supply them with a couple of flashlights and they will be good for hours.

herb said...

Ah, you need to make homemade Oreos, they are all the rage over here (at least in our ward it seems). I'm gonna have to get my wife to post the recipe sometime.

Kid's birthdays are just the funnest! I really don't care about mine, but to see their eyes when it's their day? Priceless!

Here is the sad part and the one my mother will never forgive: I have not taught my kids German, well hardly any. She doesn't speak English, so she takes my slackiness VERY personal! That's why I hope she never finds your blog! That will be just another "See, i told you people do it all the time"-conversation....

But I sure wish I would have taught them. They know a few words, but with hardly anybody to practice, they forget most of it (as did my wife with 4 years of German in school).

herb said...

PS: Do you guys know where in GA yet? If you have your pick, check out Fayette County, especially Peachtree City (where we live). A bit more expensive than surrounding counties (still cheaper than North Atlanta), but great schools (some of the best in GA) and a great quality of living!

Scott B. said...

Happy Birthday to Nathan! It looks like he had such a fun day! I love that they put him in a chair and raise him up high. I bet the kids go crazy over that. How fun. And, you made me want tacos so bad. We had them for dinner last night. Now I want that plate of oreos.