Thursday, March 06, 2008

Purple People Eater

The latest on Brandon:

So I thought the hydrocortisone was working for the dryness on Brandon's face, but I was wrong. The day I stopped putting it on, his face became all red and splotchy again so we headed to the Dr.
{This is his face on Nathan's birthday}

The Dermatologist told me that Brandon had a type of really dry skin that is worse in babies from 6 months to 2 years. Then he told me about this "blue" (which was not so blue) stuff that he puts on babies with this dry skin and it just stays there for about 3 days. He also gave me a prescription for some normal medicine. So after they tell me that this stuff stains they take me in to a back room and smear some purple dye stuff all over Brandon's face. No bib or anything to protect his clothes or my clothes, and then they send me on my way with a very purple baby boy. That was about 3 days ago and now it has almost completely flaked off. Have you ever heard of something so crazy?? :-) I have no idea what the purpleness was suppose to do, because I attribute any healing to the cream he gave me to put on two times a day. Oh the joys of being in a foreign country. I do LOVE Germany though.
{What his sheets looked like the morning after the Dr. }

His skin really is looking better now, but who knows what it will do after I stop the medicine.


Brandon has really been making an effort to crawl lately and has got the scooting thing down quite well. I keep neglecting to get out the camera though. But I am sure you will appreciate what I did get a video of today. I came out of the bathroom and Brandon had pulled himself up on this stair and was sucking on the edge. I mean really slurpy sucking it. GROSS.




Jacob on the other hand got quite the brain rush the other day. I went in to check on the boys before I went to bed, which I don't always do anymore, but I am glad I did this night. I think he had been hanging here for quite a while, I am curious how long he could have stayed. :) haha

11 comments:

Kristin said...

Oooh..that video was pretty gross! LOL and I just LOVED the picture of Jacob sleeing almost upside down. Too cute! I swear your boys just keep getting cuter and cuter!!

Alicia said...

All of that was HILARIOUS!! Kid stories are so totally funny. I was shocked at poor Brandon's purple face. I can't believe they put that on him. How weird and funny. That will be one great baby picture when he is older. I was laughing so hard at him slurping the stair. Nasty! He is loving it though. The sound of him slurping on it killed me. And Jacob . . . oh wow, he sleeps like a bat. So funny!

herb said...

I've heard of that cream before. It's called "Aprilscherz fuer Auslaender"...

laura said...

I think the nurse at your doctors office was trying to play a funny joke on the American. That really is crazy. Have you ever seen any other purple babies while there?
I love the video too. You must use a citrus smelling cleaner to get that kind of sucking.

Roeckers said...

I've seen that before on German babies but usually for a form of thrush. Kidda fun to wlak around with LOL

Love the Jacob pic. Amazing how kids can actually sleep like that! I would be awake in an instant.

Happy belated birthday Nathan!!

CarolynJ said...

Poor Brandon! But pictures is the only way anyone would ever believe it! I wonder if the tile on the stairs is cold and feels good on his teeth? Amazing what babies live through, including sleeping upside down. Love your sharing and your family.

Christy said...

HA HA! Chris and I laughed really hard at the whole blue face thing. My boys are very into Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, so it reminds me of Violet Beauregard, who turns into a blueberry. So glad to hear that it was worth it!

Emily said...

That blue die technique is the strangest thing ever!!! Brandon is still cute, even with blue die on his face!!

Sue said...

I love Brandon's tongue sticking out in the pictures! And he really has huge eyes, he is becoming quite handsome. I really laughed at the stair video, I agree with Terri, maybe the cold felt good. It really looks like you never feed him.

Williams Family Dirt said...

That is truly amazing, I have never heard of the blue die before. I hope they figure out what this rash/dry skin is!

Megadittos--he is still cute!

Danny and Michelle Zamora Family said...

Hi I am a friend of Josh and Melissa Slade and happened to stumble across your blog. I wanted to tell you my son had the same rash on his face and it was due to his allergies to food and milk including the formula he was on. It did start to clear up after I took him off of everything he was allergic to and gave him 2 baths a day with no soap....just water. It turned out he was allergic to wheat, soy, all dairy including cheese, and nuts. If you would like to contact me my email is michellebelle@embarqmail.com and I will fill you in more on differnt soaps and lotions that I found helpgful.