Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Les Miserables in London

A couple years ago, Steve and I dreamed up this fabulous, romantic plan of going to see Les Miserables at the theater in London. And we made that dream come true this past weekend.
We left the three oldest boys with an awesome lady from church who is about my Mom's age, and who raised 6 kids, all of whom are out of the house. Then Steve and I (and Brandon) flew to London for the weekend.

It was so AWESOME. Definitely one of my favorite places. It reminded me a lot of New York and I loved New York. I keep telling people it seemed to have a lot of American treasures like Costco, lots of great choices of places to eat, and the "right" language. But, it was also a very European city with lots of beautiful architecture and old buildings. It was the best of both worlds, if only they could get that darned pound to weaken a little bit. :0

So, we ended up renting a car because we found a great hotel that was cheap, came with a full English breakfast, and had nice big rooms, but was a ways from public transportation. Steve had a great time figuring out the crazy UK driving, especially when we went through a round-about every couple of miles.
Each morning we drove to the nearest Tube stop which is the London underground system and rode that to wherever we wanted to go.
The best choice that any one can make when visiting London is to get a £20 ticket on the "hop on hop off" bus. It was a great way to see all the main attractions in the city because their are so many.

We actually stopped at two of them. One was the London tower with the Crown Jewels that we thought was nice, but maybe not worth the money we paid to get in. And we also went to
we loved this wax museum. It had a really fun atmosphere and we enjoyed seeing how real everyone looked. Very cool. Here are a couple of our new friends.

{This was an impostor ^}



On Saturday night we had Alicia's best friend Kamber and her husband Brian who live right in London, babysit Brandon so we could go to see Les Miserables. Poor Kamber had just gotten out of the hospital from a surgery, so we tried to get someone else to do the babysitting. But the other person couldn't do it at the last minute and Kamber and Brian came through for us. Thanks you guys, you are awesome. And luckily Brandon was SOO tired from being dragged around London for 2 days, that he feel asleep pretty early and stayed asleep until we got back.

The theater was absolutely amazing. Steve and I both love to see musicals, and Steve had recently finished listening to the unabridged version of Les Mes. So, he had some unusual insights in to the story. (P.S. Jessica, I didn't fall asleep once! Aren't you proud of me?)

Anyway, everything turned out beautifully and we are so very happy we got to go, and for all the people who made it such a wonderful vacation.

The boys at home even had a good time, even though I think my dear friend Dorothy was ready to have some time to herself when we got back.

12 comments:

Sue said...

I am so happy that you got to do that!!! It sounds wonderful! I really want to see Les Miz and the only place that I can find it playing is London, what a perfect trip! Thank you, Kamber and Brian, for being there to help make this trip great.

Christy said...

Wow, that sounds so fun! I love Les Mis. Chris has gone to England twice for work now, and will likely get to go back more . . . I'll have to tag along some time. Fun!

Olson Clan said...

Wow, Theresa!! I am so jealous! I am really glad that you are getting the chance to do all the things you wanted. Enjoy!!

laura said...

How fun!! A weekend away- you guys have really figured out the right way to have kids but still explore and have fun and experience new things. Awesome!

Kristin said...

That sounded so awesome!!! I've always wanted to go to London. It sounds like you guys had a great time!!!

Natalie said...

Wow Teresa! That is so cool. I would love to go to London. You guys take the best trips.

Scott B. said...

I love London and I love Les Mes. What a perfect time together. I'm so excited to see the pictures of your trip. I'm glad it all worked out so well and you had such a good time. London is a really cool city if you can try not to think about how much you are spending on each thing and how it equates to the dollar. I'm also thrilled that Kamber and Brian were able and willing to babysit Brandon for you. Thank you!!!!

You got some great shots from your tour bus. Looks like you saw it all. You'll have to catch the changing of the guard next time.

Roger said...

What a wonderful trip! I would love to see Les Miserables in London. Does the chunnel go to Bako?

Steve said...

I have to say that I really loved London! It was an AMAZING trip! The prices were, actually, not too bad, when you compare it to the Euro. It seemed that the prices that we saw were only 10 to 12% more expensive than here in Germany, so it's all about perspective. The wax museum was awesome, Julia Roberts says hello to everyone. The only thing that I didn't like about London was that they have a TON of roundabouts. When we got back from to Germany, we got in the car and managed to go the wrong way on only the first round about that we came to. Thank heavens there were no cars there. I HIGHLY recommend London!

Emily said...

One word. JEALOUS!!!!

Eliza said...

Teresa hi this is Eliza (Reed) Clement. I don't even know if you remember me from high school. I often check out your blog which I came across through Emily Matson. I just wanted to say hi I really love reading about your foreign adventures. I'm with Emily on this one... JEALOUS!!

Now that I'm no longer just being a creepy lurker I have to say the picture of your baby with all the purple on his face is priceless. We used the same stuff to clear up my daughter's thrush.

Williams Family Dirt said...

WOW, that is so awesome, I am so green with envy! One more word....LUCKY!!!