Friday, September 21, 2007

Brandon's 5 week check up

On Thursday I took Brandon in for his 5 week check-up. He has gained a kilo which is about 2lbs, so he is currently just under 12lbs. And he grew 5 cm. also which is a lot. So he is a huge kid! It is very interesting to watch the Dr. here do the check up. They do a lot more than the doctors in the states do. The last test he did on Brandon he almost rolled him up in a ball where Brandon was facing the Dr. and told me not to be scared. Then while holding Brandon's ankles, he let his head drop, so that Brandon was falling backwards until he was completely upside down. I guess it was to check his reflexes, but I cannot imagine a Dr. in the states doing that. I was fine with it because I know I am in another country and I trust my Dr., but it was weird.
Brandon has also just started to respond to us with smiles. It is so exciting to see your baby smile at you. Of course he smiled at Steve first, because he is more excited to eat than to smile when he is with me. He also has this interesting eye color. They look navy blue, which I thought would probably change as he gets older, but my neighbor and I were looking at the other boys eyes, and we saw that Jacob has navy blue eyes too. Jacob's were navy when he was born, and they never changed. It is a really cool color.

In other news, the boys are all doing great. They are enjoying school, and the neighbors. I feel so blessed to be living in this neighborhood. It feels so safe, and there are about a million kids that all play together out front. The first picture is of all the neighbors kids who were playing outside on their bikes. Some of them being as old as 11. So, I feel comfortable letting the boys go outside and play and feel like they are safe. The neighbor kids will tell them if they are doing something that they shouldn't. Every once in a while I have to get them in trouble for going too far, but for the most part they stay close to home. It is so nice to live where there are great neighbors especially in a foreign country.

5 comments:

laura said...

5 weeks and already smiling- isn't that early?? He looks so adorable. I would have a heart attack if my doctor dropped my newborn upside down. How does that test reflexes, and isn't their a better way? You are so lucky to have those neighbors. We haven't made friends in this new house, and I really miss going out and just hanging with everyone.

Jessica said...

He is a cutie and your neighborhood looks awesome. I wonder if you will find that anywhere in the states. My view of kids "hanging out" in the streets has been severely warped by my New York City life.

Anonymous said...

His eyes really are awesome. You can see it in the picture. And how cool that he is smiling at you. That is an adorable smile! I can't believe how big he is. He probably knew he had to grow big quick so he could hold his own with three big brothers.

Olson Clan said...

I am so jealous!! I wish we had good neighbors with children that actually came out of their houses.

Natalie said...

I am also so jealous of your neighborhood. We have no kids that come out to play and not the friendliest neighbors for the most part. Enjoy that!

Brandon is the cutest thing. I can't believe it has already been 5 weeks.