Saturday, April 14, 2007

Talented Man

The other day when we were at church one of our friends came up to Steve and said, "You are a very talented man." She was referring to the hymns he had just played on the organ for Sacrament Meeting, since our regular pianist was out of town. Steve has never had piano lessons, but decided he wanted to learn how to play one day, and now he is playing the organ in Sacrament Meeting. This particular friend has also been to our house a couple of times when Steve has made dinner and she is always very impressed with his cooking. He is an EXCELLENT cook, but most of you already know that. ")

Anyway Julie (the friend) got me to thinking about Steve's many talents, and she is so right. He is a very talented person. I have always kind of just taken it for granted. Besides the things she mentioned he can also speak 3 languages fluently. The most difficult of which he uses everyday. He is an amazing father, and way surpasses any expectations I ever had of him. He is a kind and loving husband which is not something I always deserve. He just spent the last 2 months filling in for our Primary Chorister who was out sick from an operation, and taught the kids the new songs perfectly.

He is great with the BBQ. This is our first outdoor BBQ meal this season, and it was awesome.


And his newest hobby is wood and metal work. He has turned part of our basement in to his shop and has done some pretty cool things.

This is the forge he made to melt the metal so he could hammer it.

This is the first frame he made. Which is not meant to go in the same room as the one I blogged about the other day.

And this is a dumpster type thing that he made for our recyclable trash because the cats kept coming over and ripping open the bags.
Oh, and did I mention.... he can fix anything! He has fixed 95% of things I ask him to.

I couldn't ask for a better example to our growing BOY population.

9 comments:

Roeckers said...

WOW! He really has taken the things the Lord has blessed him with and developed some great talents! The Lord is well pleased as is your wife!

I have had his cooking and wished Jake would have had the chance to learn a thing or two in the art of Grilling.

I miss being in your home and listening to Steve crack a joke or sing one of his made up songs to the boys or watch him play cheat at Fuzzball. He has a great ability to make one feel welcome in your home. He is also very quick to serve. Your boys are very blessed to have him as a role model.

Scott B. said...

Can't wait to get there and try out some of that BBQ!

Alicia said...

Wow. I am so impressed. How cool that he takes new projects on and just figures out how to do them well. I'm sure all of that makes your life a lot easier. I'm excited to try his cooking as well. Scott can't wait for the BBQ, but is now nervous of cats. Do you have a cat in your house? He is very allergic. This could be interesting. Good job to Steve though for being so incredibly talented.

laura said...

I love this post. I was just telling Mom that there are many things that I admire about Steve. I too love the silly songs he sings to the boys. I love his missionary ability and his ability to befriend people wherever you move. Whenever I hear a talk on missionary work- you two come to my mind. He is a wonderful host- I remember my fist experience with him. It was when you were dating and we went to a lake for a BBQ in Utah. He made sure everything was right and that everyone was comfortable. And he is quite funny- One of the hardest times I have ever laughed was when we all went to dinner at Red Lobster- we sat across from you and Steve. That's when I discovered his real humor. Ooohhhh, how I wish you lived closer.

Roger said...

I must say how much I agree with all that has been said. You both are wonderful people that have used your life experience to increase your faith, talents and natural charity.

Sue said...

WOW! How Wonderful! Add humble to the list as well as, "I'll Go Where You Want Me To Go," for his Primary Service.Way to go, Steve. Great choosing, Teresa.

Steve said...

I have several comments to make. Well, several comments for now. I want to see what everyone else is going to say before I say that I am done making any further comments.

First:

I think that you all are too kind. I appreciate the nice comments, but it always makes me uncomfortable because you only see the good sides of things with me. Teresa sees both sides, but I think that she gives me too much credit, plus I told her that I would pay her $20 if she could write a nice little blog about me, after this one she came and said that I now owed her $40. Okay, that was first...

Second:
Laura, what Red Lobster Experience were you talking about? I don't remember that one.

and C:
I don't make songs up, those are actual words that just haven't been written down to the tunes yet.

Finally:
My cooking is good, I have to admit that, but then I believe that anyone's cooking is good. It helps to explain why I'm a large man. An inherent talent of large men is the ability to discern good cooking techniques from bad cooking techniques. Let's think about it.. Have you ever met a thin cook? If so, how was the food??? If it was good, it's only because they used to be large and now he's / she's denying themselves and not fully partaking anymore!

Alicia said...

I have some more things to say.

1.I remember the Red Lobster experience well. It was the very next morning that the FLU epedimic of Christmas 2003 began. I can never eat crab again after puking it up for 3 days straight. EVERYONE (except Teresa and Mom) got sick. Does that jog your memory?

2. "Dis Der Dumpy Trees" are not real lyrics to any song!

Steve said...

1. Nope, I have NO EARTHLY CLUE what Red Lobster experience that you're referring to. I vaguely remember going to Bakersfield that year, but really don't remember going to Red Lobster.

B. It actually went like this:
Look at Dem Der Trees.
Look at Dem Der Dinky Trees.
Look at Dem Der Dinky Dumb Trees.
Look at Dem Der Dinky Dumb Dopey Trees.
Look at Dem Der Dinky Dumb Dopey Darn Trees.

Need I continue?

Just so that you know, before I met Roger, I never did that. It was hearing him sing: Stick your finger in your eye and in your eye that made me realize that there's so much more to life than just the boring songs that no one takes the time to improvise!