Monday, April 09, 2007

True meaning of Easter

To not forget the true meaning of Easter, we had a wonderful day at church where we discussed the Atonement and Resurrection of Christ. Both Primary and Sacrament Meeting had a great spirit to them that I feel made both Steve and I and the boys really think about Christ.

In Primary I did a fun Sharing Time that I also did with my boys last year. Last year we were in Garmisch Germany (down south) for Easter and since their were no English Wards in the area, we didn't go to church, but I brought this lesson to help explain "Easter" to the boys. I liked it so well that I used it again.

You take 12 plastic eggs (the kind that you can open) and fill them with symbols that represent different parts of the Easter story.


1. Palm Branch -Matthew 21:1-11
Jesus rode into Jerusalem on a donkey. The people waved palm branches.

2. Bread -Matthew 26:26, 17-19
While they were eating Jesus took a piece of bread,
gave a prayer of thanks, broke it, and gave it to His disciples.
"Take and eat it," He said, "This is My body."

3. Picture of praying hands or I did a piece of paper that said "Picture on the board" and it was the Picture of Christ in Gethsemane

4. 3 Dimes -Matthew 26: 14-15 27:3
Then one of the twelve disciples, named Judas Iscariot, went to
the chief priests and asked, "What will you give me if I betray
Jesus to you?" They counted out thirty silver coins and gave
them to him.

5. Thorns, like on a rose stem -Matthew 27:29-31
Then they made a crown out of thorny branches and placed it on
His head, and put a stick on His right hand; then they knelt
before Him and made fun of Him.

6. A small cross (I glued two small sticks together) -John 19: 17-18a
He went out, carrying His cross, and came to "The Place of the
Skull," as it is called. (In Hebrew it is called "Galgotha.") There
they crucified Him. Matthew 27:31 and Luke 23:33 and Luke 23:40-41

7.Nails -John 20:25-29

8.Cotton ball with vinegar poured on it. -Matthew 27:34
They gave Jesus vinegar mixed with gall on a sponge to drink.

9. Gauze or White Cloth - Luke 23:53 and Matthew 27:57-60
After Jesus died, His friends wrapped Him up with cloth and lay Him in a special cave, a tomb.

10. Stone or a rock –Matthew 27:62-65 and Matthew 28:66
The ones who had killed him put a large rock over the mouth of the tomb, the cave to make sure no one could get Jesus out.

11. Cinnamon sticks (burial spices) –Mark 16:1
Three women brought special spices to anoint Jesus body.

12.Empty! –Luke 24:3,6 and Matthew 28:2-6
Three days later, the huge rock was moved and Jesus was gone from the tomb. An angel said He was alive again! This day is what we celebrate on Easter Sunday.


Then the Primary children came up one at a time and got to open an egg and we discussed what it represented. At the end of this I spent some time on the Resurrection and joy of that and what it means because I didn't want it to be too sad for them. It really turned out well and the kids seemed to be absorbing what they were learning.
So I know this comes a day late, but at least it is recorded now so you can use it next year or even if you don't I know where to come if I want to use it again. :)

(I was missing some by the time we came home from church)


PS- Just for Sarah-
The Allred Easter breakfast was this:
Take 3 hard boiled eggs, crack them and put them in a bowl. Squish them up with a fork. Put some salt, pepper and a dollop of butter in the bowl. Put it in the microwave for 30 seconds, then stir and eat. It is quite good for how easy it is to make.

5 comments:

laura said...

Great idea. I might use that tonight. Thanks

Roeckers said...

Has it been a year already?! I remember that trip you took with the Kirkham's. MAN!!

What a great idea. Wish I had that for our class on sunday. Maybe we can use it as a recap.

Teresa said...

Chrissy- We went with the Kirkham's in early July. I went with the boys in April when Steve was getting ready to go to Morocco. Do you remember that? Still...time is flying.

Alicia said...

What a great idea. I'm sure the kids were captivated by being able to open eggs and discover what was inside and you had a good lesson to teach them with each one. I hope to use that one day.

Roger said...

Excellent lesson for all of us. Symbolism is a ver effective way for everyone to remember gospel principles.

Great recipe. You can thank Gma for that one. I still love it, minus the salt of course.