Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Steven's Baptism





Hi All-

I am so behind on blogging, but do plan on catching up. You are in luck tonight, because I planned on going to Walmart instead of blogging, but since it is pouring rain and getting late, I changed my plans. I am going to start with the most recent things first, and then go back to the rest of June. Sound good? Good.

Our oldest darling boy was baptized this past Sunday. Unlike most people, I CAN believe my oldest is 8. That seems right where he should be, and I feel like he has been around for eight years. I have always told everyone Steven has been about as perfect as an oldest child can be. I love that he has been the leader as we keep adding more and more and more brothers to his life.

His baptism was wonderful. I was a little worried that there was something dreadfully important that I was forgetting, because we were on vacation for two weeks before the baptism and had family in town for a couple of days just before. I was just afraid I was letting something slip, but everything worked out Wonderfully!!

The baptism was right after church, and we had a lot of people from the ward that stayed for it. The talk on baptism was given by Steve's Mom (Nana) and she did an amazing job like I knew she would. She even had a poster board that showed a path and a boy walking down the path to heaven and all the steps that he would have to take on his way there. It was fantastic. Then, I had the three oldest Hughes boys, and their cousins Daniel and Emma do a musical number and sing the Fourth Article of Faith. They did an awesome job. Except for one small thing. I rarely chew gum or even have gum with me. Well, I had a pack that day and for some reason decided to give a piece to all the kids just after church. So... they get up there to sing, and they are all just chewin' away at their gum. Luckily it didn't affect their singing. They sounded GREAT!

Then Steven was baptized by Steve and it all went very smoothly. It felt so great to see them both in the water to perform that ordinance.

While they were getting dressed we watched a really good movie called Come Follow Me. It is on VHS and was printed probably in the 70's or 80's, but it was great and most likely no one had seen it before. I was worried about what movie we were going to watch that would be the right length and fit the baptism. My sister-in-law Lisa went to the library while I taught my primary class that morning, and came up with this video. I was so grateful to her for taking that worry off my mind. And of course, as the closing credits rolled on the movie, Steve and Steven walked in.

Then Steve gave a great talk on the Holy Ghost. No visuals, but he did a fabulous job anyway. Then Steve was able to confirm Steven and gave him a beautiful blessing. His Papa Hughes was able to be a part of that as well as being a witness to the baptism.

It really was special, and I am so happy that it went so well.

{The boys and their cousins from Virginia}


{A little sunny I guess}


That evening we gave Steven his new scriptures. And now he is totally official. :)


{Since I had the camera at church, I had to take a picture of my CTR 5 primary class. They love to sit in the window sill and I don't really care, as long as they are quiet. All five of them there only lasted a minute though because they were squished. So cute huh?}

7 comments:

Melissa said...

What a wonderful day for Steven and your family. Everyone in my family got scriptures with their names engraved on them when they turned 8. Everyone that is but me. Not sure why but I like to tease my parents about it.

Sue said...

Steven looks so happy!!! I am so thrilled for him and for your family as we watch him grow into such a wonderful young man. I am still sad that we weren't there. Thanks for writing about it.

Kristin said...

What a great post. Wish we could have been there, too. I'm looking forward to catching up on all your posts! :)

Roger said...

It sounds like a wonderful baptism day for Steven. I am sorry that we couldn't be there, but it looks like everything went just fine without us.
Is is great that "Steven has been about as perfect as an oldest child can be." Too bad that accountability starts now!

laura said...

Steven really is such a good boy. I'm glad his baptism day went so well. I have honestly never heard of being baptised on Sunday, but apparently it is quite common. Who knew??
And I love the family picture. We miss you all.

Anonymous said...

now I stay in touch..

Anonymous said...

по моему мнению: неподражаемо. а82ч