Saturday, September 13, 2008

Books

I have another blog I am suppose to be doing, but I have to wait until I can get a good picture of me with Brandon smiling per Laura's request. We have all of course reconnected here at the Hughes homes and are moving on with life, but I will still get photo evidence. :)

In the meantime, I have something to say. I have been reading a TON this summer. Probably due to the fact that I haven't had a house to clean or a computer to play on for most of the summer. And then when I did move in to my house I was so hooked on books that I have been moving at a very slow pace. In fact I told Steve that I would be taking a break after the last book I read because I was losing sleep and important cleaning time because of it.
So, I finished "Return to Love" by Anita Stansfield (an LDS author) but I still wanted to have something to read at appropriate times. So, I decided to read a self help book that I have. Those don't seem to yell at you to pick them up like some other books do. And THAT book is what I want to share with you.

First: the story. For a time while we were living in Germany, Steve and I were having a pretty hard time in our marriage. I know, I am not suppose to admit such things in the perfect and peaceful world of blogging, but a lot of you already know anyways. So, without going into the private details, I decided to buy a book to see if it would do me any good.


This book was written for ME. I couldn't believe how well it described me and my flaws. I quickly changed my attitude towards Steve to save him from the misery that the men in this book have gone through. Now believe me, Steve had a lot of changing to do as well, but he so graciously let me take the first step. And, as I was nicer to him, he became nicer to me and so the ball started rolling in the upward direction instead of rolling down like it had been. To this day (about 2.5 years later) our marriage is still at a point that we are both happy, and feeling loved and respected by the other person.

So, the other day while I was at a book store I came across this book

Even though, I am happy in my marriage right now, I so respect Dr. Laura's views at this point I had to buy the book if not just for a refresher course. It was on sale for $5 too, so that helped. Anyway, the book is great. It talks about the wonderful characteristics of women and how they differ but compliment the wonderful characteristics of men. And how the womens movement, to make women the same as men, really hurt our society and our own individuality. I am thoroughly enjoying this book as I am learning new things about me, Steve and people in general.

So..... whether you are blissful in your marriage, miserable in your marriage, or somewhere in between, I recommend this book if not just to help you understand your spouse better. It is such an easy read as well. Enjoy!!

6 comments:

Sarah A said...

That looks interesting. I'm headed to the library tomorrow so maybe I'll pick it up. Thanks for the tip!

Suzanne said...

I'll have to give those a read, thanks for sharing those! From what I've heard of Dr. Laura, I think I'd really like her.

By the way, I get tired of some of those "Mormon Wife and Mother" blogs that only depict the most ideal of lives. It's too fake. I much more appreciate reading blogs of people who are for real. Life isn't always easy and perfect, it's okay to struggle, and as we share those things with others we never know who that's going to help.

You guys are awesome.

Melody said...

Teresa,
The reason I don't like my haircut is because my curls are so tight! Since it's so short and curly, there is no movement or "flowiness." I just feel like flowy hair makes people look more feminine. So I find myself putting on a little more makeup and wearing earrings more often to compensate. I guess that's not a bad thing, but when I wake up in the morning and see myself "au natural," I think I look like a man. Your hair is straighter than mine, though. I think it would look really pretty cut short to frame your face. Go for it!

Melissa said...

I have heard a lot of great things about these books and have been wanting to pick them up. I remember complaining one time to a close friend and she told me about this book, and I did what you did. I was nicer to Josh and in turn I saw him change. Seems like common sense, but I think it's easy to get caught up in everyday life. Don't even get me started on the womens movement. I'm 100% with Laura. Why women don't view staying at home raising their children a job I will never understand. I think it's time to start a new movement. Okay I'll get off my soap box. I'm heated.

Roger said...

It takes two to make a marriage work. Remember the words of Archie Bunker.
"The only thing that holds a marriage together is the husband being big enough to step back and see where the wife was wrong."

Williams Family Dirt said...

I started reading the "Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands" several years ago, but stopped after the first few chapters. It wasn't for me at the time, I was working full-time and realized that I couldn't do it all. I think I need to go back and read it, I am ready to be nice now! ;)