Monday, July 16, 2007

Ginger the Cat

So...here is the story. On the 4th of July while Steve was grilling in the backyard, he found this hedgehog. We have seen them around here before, they always come out at night and scrounge around for things. Well, Steve decides he wants to capture the poor thing and keep it as a pet. He has been wanting a pet for a while, and I keep brushing him off. So, he puts it in a crate for the night with some food and goes the next day to buy a cage, food, straw, etc. so his hedgehog would be comfortable. The boys were very excited about it, but every time they came around the hedgehog (Spartacus) he would get scared, so Steve would tell them to sit really still and not talk(Yeah Right!).
{The cage}


{I am so mad! I took a great picture of Steve holding our hedgehog and it must have got erased because I can't find it anywhere! So, here is a stock photo.}

Then about 4 days later Steve is in the backyard again, and this little kitten, maybe 8 weeks old comes sauntering in to the backyard. Of course Steve picks her up and brings her in to show the boys. She is soooo cute! (for a cat that is) She seemed so comfortable in the house and with everyone petting her, and as you can imagine the boys enjoyed her much more than the hedgehog, so Steve got out the litter box from the old cat, and decided to keep the kitten for the night. Amazingly when he put her in the litter box before bedtime she went potty in it and we couldn't believe it.

Long story short, we have kept the cat who is about the most perfect pet you could ask for. She pees where she should pee, she is careful not to scratch too much when she is playing, the boys think she is the best present they could have ever had, and she is really adorable. And after reading that hedgehogs typically walk 5 miles a day, and it is illegal to catch them, we decided to let our little hedgehog friend go. I think she really appreciated that!

{Where do you think the cat is hiding??}

As far as the cats name goes, I was at the store with Jacob and was translating the ingredients to something, and was talking out loud. Well one of the ingredients was ginger. So when I said that out loud, Jacob said "Ginger the cat. That is our cats name." We hadn't named her yet, and he seemed so sure that was her name that I decided he could name her.

{Super hero Jacob}

And that is our pet story.

8 comments:

Kristin said...

Oh my gosh, Teresa that picture of the 3 boys looking for the cat is HILARIOUS!!!! Anyway, cute kitty! And cute story! My mom will be so proud that you guys got a cat! :)

Olson Clan said...

So sorry about the hedgehog, but at least you still have a pet! I think the kitten will turn out to be a better pet anyhow. But now what to do with the cage? I love how Zuma is on, have you gotten everyone addicted to that game?

Olson Clan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Teresa said...

As far as Zuma goes, my sister who is here until the baby comes plays it all the time. She is up to level 9 and totally addicted (plus a little bored with us). The kitty was very in to watching the balls. :) So cute.

Williams Family Dirt said...

Pets are great to have when you have young children! Congrats on becoming a cat family...love the SuperHero costume!

Roeckers said...

Welcome to the family Ingwer!

How much longer do you have? I can't remember when you are due? Glad your sis can be there. I know how much I appreciated my sis being around.

Scott B. said...

I'd trade your cat for PIKO anyday!

Anonymous said...

I love superhero Jacob. The kitten is really cute, but unfortunately, it will become a cat. Good luck with that. Just remember, Piko was cute once too.