Sunday, May 29, 2011

Jacob's birthday party

Jacob turned 7 on May 20th. He has never had an official birthday party, so we decided this was the year. Sometime at the beginning of May, he was nagging me (which he is super great at) about getting started on planning his party. Well, I like to put things off, so I would always tell him "later". Finally he went and got himself a scrap piece of paper and wrote down what he wanted. I should have taken a picture of it. It was in first grade spelling and handwriting, and he wrote down 1.who was invited, 2.what games he wanted to play, 3.what he wanted in the gift bags, 4.what he wanted for his presents, and 5.what kind of cake he wanted.

So, finally his birthday came around. He had requested breakfast in bed after he saw the joy it brought me on Mother's Day. So, we delivered.

Then he went to school and I brought in peanut butter cookies to share with his class.

After school we went to Applebee's for dinner which was very good!

His birthday party was the next day. My darling loving husband started off the day by cleaning out the garage. Our garage was a disaster! He emptied everything out and swept and rearranged and made it look wonderful. It was such a relief to be getting that garage clean that I didn't even care that things were not getting done for this party that started at 4pm. I think I got in the shower at 3:45!
Well, five of Jacob's friends did show up. We weren't completely done decorating when they got here, so I had them help me blow up balloons and hang the Happy Birthday sign. Steve tells me this would only fly with boys. Girls would expect things to be done and pretty when they arrived.

This turned out to be the absolute BEST and easiest party I have ever done. Remember the list Jacob made? When it came time to plan I just grabbed the list and went shopping and then followed the same list the day of the party.
First we played UNO

Next we had a water fight with water balloons and dollar store water blasters

When they started fighting or crying about the water fight, we had dinner. Steve made hot dogs and sliders that were delicious.

Next we did a pinata which was tons of fun and quite a hit!

Shared pinata candy with a four month old!

Then we opened presents

And had ice cream cake which was halfway melted by the time we ate it.

It was a great birthday party and I am so glad Jacob is a part of our family!

5 comments:

laura said...

I love that party. I love having kids old enough to plan it out themselves. Takes all the pressure off.
Happy Birthday Jacob! I remember so clearly the day you were born.

Roger said...

Happy Birthday, Jacob! Good job on planning your party. And good job to your mom for following your plan.

Alicia said...

Teresa, you are honestly the smartest mom ever. I love that Jacob made his plan, you didn't stress about a thing and just followed the plan. I would have "discussed" every bit of it until the party was just as I thought it should be. And it looks like all the kids had a great time!! Happy Birthday to Jacob. I sure wish I could have a peice of that cake!

Roger said...

Jacob is a great party planner! Teresa is a great party giver! He did it all. The planning shows he has some grandpa in him.

Kristin said...

What an awesome party! Steve's right, girls would have expected everything perfect when they arrived. And my girls would have expected things to be done and perfect long before the party started. :) You're so lucky with boys!! :) Happy birthday, Jacobie.