Saturday, January 05, 2008

Odds and Ends

So, I mentioned that I was behind in a couple of blogs and now I am going to catch you up some.

1. First off as you all know we added a member to our family back in August. At the time, we did NOT have a car big enough to hold all of us. So, we drove two cars for about 6 weeks until finally the middle of October, we bought ourselves a Minivan!! I am totally thrilled. I have always looked forward to the day when I would be a mother driving around with a minivan full of kids, and I have finally achieved that. Of course if we had never left the states, I probably would have gotten one much sooner, but we were happy enough being a family of 5 in a 5 seater car. Now we are a family of 6 in a 7 seater. Boy does it feel spacious.
{We paid cash for the van which is why we waited. Used cars are SOO much cheaper for a nicer car here in Germany}
{The boys getting ready for a movie}

2. When Steve's parents were here, we wanted to make things a little more exciting for them, so we all decided to go spend a night in Belgium. We went and checked out their Christmas market, and it was very nice. The same idea as the Germans, but they did have different stuff. It was nice to go and see what was there, and to take Fran and Lyle to experience another country. On our way back from Belgium, about an hour in to our drive we stopped for gas. While I was waiting for a pump in my new minivan, a man that was waiting for a pump in the next lane over started backing up. He didn't see me there, and smashed right in to the back of me. Luckily he was barely moving, but it put quite a dent in the van. He spoke great English(they speak French in Belgium) and was very nice. He admitted fault and so we called the Belgium police and spent a good 2 hours at that gas station with all the kids and a 4 hour drive home left to go. It really wasn't too traumatic, and now we are just dealing with the insurances to get the van fixed after waiting 3 weeks to get through the holidays.

3. Also, when Steve's parents were here, we took them again to the Cuckoo clock store in Triberg which is one of our favorite places to go. They were getting a Christmas present for Steve's sister Kristin. While we were there they told us that they wanted to get us one for Christmas too. Steve and I already have a small Cuckoo clock in our house, but we had said that before we leave here we wanted to go back and buy us a nicer one. So, when they offered that we decided we would pool their money and the money that Mom and Dad gave us for Christmas and throw in a little of our own and get us a nice clock that we can take home with us. And we are so thrilled with it. It is so beautiful and such a good memoir. I am thrilled that we got it. Thanks Mom and Dad Allred and Mom and Dad Hughes. :)
4. Jacob has a new favorite phrase that Steve and I think is so funny. He HATES when people laugh at him though, so we have to hide our laughter. Whenever someone is saying something that is bothering him he says, "I'm not hearing this" which is a quote from The Little Rascal. It sounds so funny because he does it in kind of a sing-song voice just like the boy on the movie. Even when someone is bothering him to the point of tears he sings that phrase. I wish I could record it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE! your cuckoo clock! It is larger than ours with more scenery. It looks wonderful, what a great present!
I also love your van, it, too, looks great. Too bad about the dent, thank goodness for honest people.
I am so happy that you love Germany and get to experience so much. What a great life! Mom

Anonymous said...

Nice van. I am happy for you guys that you get to join the mini van club. They are the best. Not so nice dent! That stinks. What a story. I mean it's great that it will be fixed and no one was hurt, but it does not sound fun to wait there for so long when you are trying to get 4 boys home.

The cuckoo clock is beautiful. Hope you enjoy all the noise it makes.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I can just hear Jacob saying "I'm not hearing this", just like Little Rascals. How funny.

Williams Family Dirt said...

I love your cuckoo clock, maybe I'll send you some money to get me one too! They are absolutely beautiful. I am a minivan person too. I love my Town and Country. I want the new one, with the swivel seats and you can put a table in the middle...so cool!

laura said...

There are now 4 mini vans in the family- somehow, that's embarassing. They really are the smartest choice though. I hope that cuckoo clock has an easy to access OFF switch. They are beautiful but SO NOISY- well, at least Dad's is.

Roeckers said...

Don't you just love the extra room!! What I love most is you shove the loudest in the back and with the radio on you can hardly hear them :P

You know what they say- You have to leave Germany with a baby or a coo coo clock. Lucky you you get to leave with both!

Daniel has taken a liking to the little Rascals. He KNOWS how to wave at girls now (hand under the chin) and does frequently. He actually did it in the middle of a wedding he was a ring bearer for!

I miss those boys! They are so cute!