Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Frohes Neues Jahre!

Happy New Year Everyone! Once again I can't believe how fast this year has gone. My Dad told me once that it seems to go faster the older you get, so that would make sense.

We have had such a Wonderful Year, and I hope for another one just as exciting. We have had company here at the house almost non stop since Alicia and Scott came in April. It has been so wonderful to have so much of our family here to spend time with us and go see the beautiful sights of Germany. Thank you all for taking the time to come see us. Of the 11 people in my family, there are only 3 that I didn't see this year without me ever traveling to the West. And we got to see All of Steve's family in Virginia at Thanksgiving. I feel so blessed to be a part of two wonderful families who all love each other and treasure the times we spend together. What a blessing that is.

So, as most of you already know, Steve and I love to host. I hope our friends don't get tired of always coming over here, since we rarely give them a turn to be the invitors. On New Year's we invited a total of 20 people to our house (including kids). They weren't all here at the same time which was nice. The missionaries left before some of our other friends got here.
Jeremy Carley and baby Katherine who is 6.5 months old.

Nathan, Steven and Michael Carley eating fudgesicles.

As we waited for the New Year to arrive we ate yummy finger foods and had a game of Settler's and a game of Cities and Knights going while the boys played or watched their new Book Of Mormon DVD's.
Steve with Brandon. Felicity and Nathaniel in the back all playing a game of Cities and Knights.

Settler's being played at the kitchen table with the Zackirsons from our ward.

At midnight we all headed outside with the oodles of fireworks that Steve bought and the Germans did not disappoint. It was once again a war zone in our own frontyard with the bangs and whistles and explosions and a city filled with smoke. It was GREAT! Jacob and Brandon couldn't quite handle the late hour so they were snuggled in bed and Nathan who has been known to make a noise or two himself didn't like how loud the fireworks were, so he stayed inside by the fire. Steven took every chance he was given to light up a firework though.
This is where I found Steve after I said goodbye to everyone at 1:30am.

We had told Steven that he was allowed to stay up as late as he wanted on New Year's, so when all of our friends left and Steve and I headed upstairs, Steven stayed down in front of the TV with a nice warm fire going. Steve talked to his family on a three way call from the computer before we went all the way upstairs to let them know what the year of 2008 was like. Then we checked on Steven before we headed up to bed thinking for sure he would be asleep since it was 2:30am. But oh no, he was still wide awake watching DVD's. This is how I found him the next morning though with the TV still going.


I hope you all had a wonderful New Year's and are excited for another great year.

6 comments:

Williams Family Dirt said...

Happy New Year to you and yours!

Melody said...

What a fun idea to let Steven stay up. For some reason, that's the most exciting thing ever to little kids, right? I remember it being exciting to me. Our bedtime was 8:00 - even if it was still light outside.

Anonymous said...

You_guys_rock.com!!!
Thanks for hosting,
'da Hancocks

Kristin said...

Hey Teresa. Too fun! But is it just me, or does that look like Jacob on the stairs with the fudgesicles and not Nathan? :)
Anyway, Happy New year!!!

Anonymous said...

What a great night! Dad and I stayed up alone until we could hear the fireworks (which were not nearly what you have), then we went to bed.We have been so happpy with 2007, I can't imagine 2008 being better. We do get the allred's baby and hopefully you guys coming home. Krista will also get her license. I am not sure, though, if you will be happier here. You have such wonderful friends there. Mom

Anonymous said...

Man! You guys are party animals! I love that you are hosting a party for every family in Germany every night of the week. I wish we could have been there for the New Year party. Scott worked, I watched Gilmore Girls while the girls slept and we said Happy New Year to each other over the phone. Nice huh? At least he was working all night for triple pay. I didn't mind one bit.