Thursday, May 27, 2010

Jacob turns 6 (but doesn't look a day over 5)

Little Jacobie just had his 6th birthday! He does not seem or look six years old to me, but sure enough he is. :-) Fran and Lyle were able to stay for his birthday too which was wonderful!

For his birthday I went to the school and had lunch with him in the cafeteria. Brandon stayed home with Nana and Papa, so it was awesome to be just me and him (well, and the rest of the lunch room).

After lunch I headed home to get the brownies that he passed out to his class.

Then I picked all the boys up about 20 minutes early from school and we headed to the movie theater. We saw "How to train your Dragon."



Then we meet up with Steve at "Ryan's" which is a southern food buffet restaurant here.



Cake and ice cream was next


and then the presents.

From Steve and I, Jacob got a new lightsaber that makes noise and lights up. From Nana and Papa he got some money, and a tatoo maker thing. And then he got all sorts of birthday money in the mail. Aunt Kristin and Uncle John, Grandma Great, and Grandma and Grandpa Allred. Thank you all for thinking of Jacob. I am going to take him on Saturday to spend all that money.

And then to finish the evening off we got a sweet phone call from the Skinner family. They called and asked Steve to put them on speaker phone and then with everyone gathered around in clear and beautiful voices they sang Happy Birthday to BRANDON!. Hahaha it was hilarious. Steve corrected Laura and she couldn't believe she got the wrong nephew. I told Jacob that they were just joking with him and wasn't that a good joke. He honestly wasn't paying much attention anyway, so it wasn't like he was offended. But it was very thoughtful of them to call. We love you Skinners.

Now for those 6 wonderful things about Jacobis:

1. Jacob has a love relationship with his Crocs that I have only heard of girls having with shoes. He asked me every morning, including in the winter what day it was to find out if he could wear crocs, cause he is not allowed to on PE days. It just made his day when he could wear them to school. Often times I also need to tell him to take his shoes off when he is getting in to bed. He is not allowed to wear them to bed!
2. Jacob has these adorable little things on his face called freckles. And he seems to just get more and more. When he was smaller Steve would ask him what is all over your face, and Jacob would respond, "polka dots" except he had a lisp when he said his "s" so it sounded adorable. Because of that, whenever Steve would come home from work, he would ask Jacob if he could have a "polka dot hug". That was a special kind of hug that only Jacob could give. So, Jacob would hug his Dad and Steve would say that he got one of his polka dots. Steve still asks Jacob to give him polka dot hugs and Jacob is always more than willing to share those polka dots.
3. Jacob has been a star student in kindergarten this year. Once again I am amazed that a kid who went to school not recognizing all the letters of the alphabet can come out of Kindergarten ten months later and can Read! He read "Green eggs and Ham" to me the other day and did 95% of it by himself. Amazing. And he is well behaved at school too which is a big relief for me.
4. He played his first year of sports this year and choose soccer. He did AWESOME! And I was really surprised. He had no idea how to play when he started, but by the end of the season was kicking the ball the right direction, stealing it from the other team and making goals. He did great.
5. Jacob likes to tell every detail of a situation. Especially if he thinks he was wronged. If someone bothers him or hurts him, he will come and tell me every little thing. His story will go on for fifteen minutes. Now if you know me, you know that I don't let it go on for very long before I ask him to be quiet and deal with the situation, but I still laugh sometimes at him going on and on and on.
6. I posted this long enough after his birthday that I can tell you, he lost two teeth since his birthday. Birthday was on Thursday, he lost one at school on Monday and one at school on Tuesday. I have never known anyone to loose two teeth that close together, but he did and everything seems to be fine. His teeth are tiny though! Oh and the tooth fairy took four days to come to him! She must be getting old and very forgetful. We have come up with some valid reasons for her tardiness though. I am sure she didn't expect him to be loosing teeth this close to his sixth birthday, so she wasn't checking in on him yet. :-)

2 comments:

Roeckers said...

Seriously 6 already?! Man it was just yesterday you walked into church with a 6wk old baby!
Happy birthday Jacob!
(I love all his freckles!)

Kristin said...

Awww, what a sweet boy!!! Happy birthday, Jacobie! :)